Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 13th, 2018 08:00

XPS 15 (L501x)

I'm trying to to factory reset this laptop for my father.  It has been upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7.  F8 isn't working for me. I have the driver CD still. I think that if i can get a windows & iso i could factory reset it.

I can't get a recovery os from the app different apps

5 Posts

May 20th, 2018 04:00

Just a Note.

I've reinstalled Windows 10. Just skip the product-key part altogether. If you have a product key already on the hard-drive the installation is smart enough to recognise it and use that (this include digital licences).

You'll will need to spend some time installing drivers however.

Everything seem to be working fine now

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 13th, 2018 09:00

You'll need to buy a Windows 7 Dell disc from Ebay or similar -Dell no longer ships these.  For that matter, with Windows 7's clock running out (it goes end of life in just over 18 months), you're better off simply reinstalling Windows 10 - you can get the ISO for that from Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 13th, 2018 15:00

If the system currently has an activated copy of Windows on it, as long as you install the same version  you're all set -- the system is digitally entitled to run Windows 10.

5 Posts

May 14th, 2018 13:00

OK. However that's best case scenario. Just in case, before i go through on this i want to know if for some reason it doesn't work, Will I be able to reactivate windows 10 with the windows 7 OEM key

May 25th, 2018 15:00

Thats good to hear. I was just curious what is your xps performance like on win 10 and how would you by your own words described xps overall experience in 2018 ?
No Events found!