Highlighted
Mat Hansen
1 Copper

XPS 15 / Precision Mobile 5520 fan noise issue BIOS v. 1.5.0

Hi there,

we are running about a dozen Precision Mobile 5520 machines.

Due to the Meltdown/IntelME CVE mess, we recently updated the BIOS to the latest version. 
Unfortunately, we are experiencing a lot more fan noise since upgrading. The fan seems to start earlier and keeps running constantly even in fairly light load scenarios where the fan would remain off prior to the upgrade. 

We traced the issue back to the version 1.5.0 BIOS released in October 2017. To us, it seems the fan curve has been modified to improve performance, especially under high load at the cost of higher noise levels.

As we are mainly working in a quiet office environment and our usage scenarios seldom involve high load this is an issue for us. Note that we picked the 5520 back in 2017 also because of its quiet fan levels. We would appreciate any help to get the previous behavior back. Ideally, there would be a BIOS setting allowing to configure a "quiet" fan curve (sacrificing peak performance).

0 Kudos
1 Reply
pawliczek12
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 / Precision Mobile 5520 fan noise issue BIOS v. 1

Hi, After update (my model 9570 i5) i have the same problem. May i ask, did you try to turn off turbo in bios and / or undervolting? If yes with what result? I would like to go back to 1.2.2 or 1.3 but it seems to be impossible.
0 Kudos