Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 17th, 2019 06:00

XPS 15 USB stops working after undocking from WD15

Hi,

Over the last few months all of our 10 XPS 15 (9550, 9560, 9570) machines and their WD15 docks have developed the following problem.

Using a WD15 dock works fine, usb keyboard + mouse works, ethernet works, external monitor works.

After undocking however:

- all USB ports stop working. Including those on the machine itself.

After reattaching the dock:

- the external monitor works OK

- external keyboard and mouse are not working

- ethernet via dock does not work.

I have tried all the things:

- dell diagnostics via F12 (no problems found)

- reinstall windows

- update drivers

- reinstall drivers

- swap dockings

- swap mouse/keyboard

It didn't start at the same time for all machines, but our impression is it might be related to some software update during 2018Q4.

I've found similar topics but they were always slightly different, or their solutions didn't work.

I decided to order a 9570 to get rid of the problem, but this brand new machine with a clean install has the same problem. Only difference is that it doesn't occur 100% of the times. Inserting a HDMI cable into the laptop after undocking seems to reliable trigger the problem.

The only solution seems to be to reboot the machine. This takes a very long time as during reboot, the machine keeps hanging around 10-20minutes at the windows spinner "Restarting". After a while windows crashes alltogether and starts gathering information, etc.

So all in all it looks the usb driver is hanging, causing usb to stop working and blocking succesful restart?

Anyone has any idea how to proceed from here?

Thanks,

Peter.

March 26th, 2019 18:00

I have been having similar issues with a WD15 for a while not. At first I did not realize my ethernet was no longer appearing but I did notice that sometimes my screen and USB ports would not work and that I was unable to shut down or reboot without the system hanging.

What I have found reliably (and with a Dell tech at my home) is the following:

• A brand new WD15 with latest firmware from the WD15 support/drivers page would have this issue nearly every time it was docked and then undocked.
  • Both an older WD15 and a brand new WD15 became more reliable (but still not reliable enough) after installing this Realtek firmware update for the WD15 (but not listed on the WD15 support/drivers page for some reason). It's likely a downgrade, but it certainly seems to help.
  • The latest Realtek drivers, as mentioned before my post, appear to resolve the issue.

For what it's worth this issue doesn't seem to apply to the TB16 docking station which I also have.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 18th, 2019 07:00

Did you test these using our Dell factory image? Or were all laptops moved to your custom image, then tested? Do hose systems have the latest BIOS, Chipset drivers installed? Read through this manual driver installation guide; "How to Use and Troubleshoot Dell Docking Station WD15".

19 Posts

We are using factory images. The undocking has worked fine for years, the problems started in 2018Q4. I think we are a business customer, but according to the person purchasing dell laptops they do not come with any support.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

If the problems did not happen until 2018 Q4, then it makes sense that the later Microsoft updates had to have caused the issues. Still researching.

24 Posts

March 18th, 2019 12:00

Hi, we also experienced to dead USB problem after unplugging from the WD15 dock.

We are using Precision 5510/5520/5530 with WD15 docks. We solved the problem by uninstalling the Realtek USB Ethernet Driver (2.45.2018.1025, A11). This installs the Windows native Realtek Driver Version 10.28.1002.2018 under Windows 10.

Uninstall the driver in control panel or switch it back to Windows native in the Driver Settings. Be aware, when your system is already in a failed state (USB not working), it is not possible the uninstall the driver. You have to make a clean boot before.

Also aware! Windows Update also installs this defective driver.

19 Posts

March 19th, 2019 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience with this issue. Glad to here that Dell is aware, I am trying to make them aware as well but somehow they don't seem interested in solving this issue.

When I look at the driver version of my realtek usb gbe controller, it says 10.28.1002.2018. Provider is realteak, but signed by microsoft. If I uninstall that driver (uninstall device), after a reboot it reverts back to version 10.5.920.2015 provided by microsoft. With this version the usb ports on the laptop work ok, but the usb ports on the WD15 do not work at all. Not even with a clean boot.

I have read a similar post stating the same as you, except they had success by uninstalling the realtek (usb?) audio driver in a similar way. I tried that as well, but it doesn't help.

Peter.

19 Posts

March 19th, 2019 07:00

When I let windows update the driver, it gets updated to 10.31.211.2019 provided by realtek. But still the usb ports on the WD15 don't work. The only way to get them working at all is to install the official driver from Dell, but that only works until you undock after which all usb ports on the dock and the xps 15 itself stop working as described above.

19 Posts

March 19th, 2019 08:00

We noticed that *Today* a new version of the USB GBE driver was release by Dell:

Realtek-USB-GBE-Ethernet-Controller-Driver-applicable_X57YV_WIN_2.45.2019.0221_A14_01

When we install this, we get a USB Power surge error popup every 5-10 seconds whenever we connect a WD15 dock. Nothing else connected. When WD15 is disconnected, error keeps popping up. Happens with multiple XPS15s, multiple WD15s, multiple keyboards/mice, etc. Only way to stop the error is a reboot, after which it stays away until you connect a WD15 (with nothing attached to it except a dell 180w power adapter)

2019-03-19 16_00_22-Microsoft Edge.png

1 Message

March 25th, 2019 04:00

Hi, I have exact same problem with my Dell 7390.

I've tried to reinstall all drivers, one by one, swaping keyboards, mouses, docking stations.

EVEN my wireless mouse stops (!) to work when other USB devices stops.

Is it related to HID driver?

What is worth mentioning - my screen is still work properly, I can move mouse (using touchpad) and built in keyboard when this situation happens.

24 Posts

March 26th, 2019 06:00

I think we mix some causes and symptoms.

1. When experienced Problems after Docking out and redock does not work (and also bluescreen after 5 Minutes at restart windows occurs), that is related to Realtek USB Ethernet Driver 10.28.1002.2018. After deinstalling that driver and use the Windows default or the brand new one like PeterHen has figured out, all the symptoms are gone and everything running fine.

1. When you still have Problems with your USB Ports on Dock or Notebook, this maybe some problems because of driver dependencies. Sometime, there are more than one USB Ethernet Driver capable, don´t know why. One for the Notebook, one for the Dock. Maybe, they share common files. There are also other USB / USB Dock Drivers which can cause problems. In this case, it is hard to Pinout what´s matter. My suggestions is, first deinstall all USB Drivers an use defaults one, if possible. Then, install one by one all new drivers. Check after every driver if a problem come or has gone.

When all else failed, do a clean install, and leave the PC just on windows default driver. Then make a Windows Recoverypoint. From there you can take every new driver and test if your issue comes on. When it comes on, then revert machine back to last recoverypoint an test again to be sure, that your have tested right.

I can say, when we take our Dell Precision (for example Precision 5510/5520) and do a clean Install make a Windows and a Dell Command Update full patch, everything is ok (but be aware, that the actual Realtek Driver has been placed). When you use 10.28.1002.2018.

1 Message

April 30th, 2019 06:00

We have this and similar issues with XPS 13s, from 9365 to 9670s and all variations in between, the common element being the WD15. Can't say for certain but starting to think this may have started with 1809 feature update. Going to roll back a couple machines to that version to try. The frustrating thing is we have a lot of these configurations but only a handful exhibit this issue and of those having this issue (or very similar, sometimes in addition to no USB we also get no external monitors) these laptops worked previously.

1 Message

May 22nd, 2019 12:00

I am having the same problem with 6 Latitude 5290 2-in-1 tablets and the WD15 docks that I recently received. These tablets came with Windows 10 1809, so I am going to take one up to 1903 and see what happens. 

June 20th, 2019 04:00

The audio driver did it for me... I had to go back several versions.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 08:00

The driver did it for me too... I had to go back several versions.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2020 11:00

I would also check the latest Realtek drivers,

No Events found!