Highlighted
CursedGem
1 Nickel

XPS 15 Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness

Jump to solution

XPS 15 L521X

For a few years now I've been unable to adjust my screen brightness from F4/F5 or settings/control panel. I've tried updating my display adapter and monitors and have tried deleting hidden Generic PnP Monitors in the Device Manager. I believe it's stuck at the highest brightness setting and it's super annoying. 

Any help would be great. 

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Oommm
1 Copper

Re: Adjust XPS 15 Screen Brightness with Dell Color Premium

Jump to solution

This solved my issue. Thank you

0 Kudos
Xinli_Zou
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@THEONEpeterRabbit wrote:
I didn't roll back, I just reinstalled the same driver and worked out 🙂

Reinstallation fixed my problem. 

0 Kudos
15 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 15 Unable to Adjust Screen Brightness

Jump to solution

Go to Control Panel > Power Options > Advanced settings > Display.  See if "Enable adaptive brightness" is enabled.  If so, turn it off.

And purely out of curiosity, what prompted you to post this just now if you've been dealing with it for a few years now?

0 Kudos
CursedGem
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Looks like my adaptive brightness is not enabled. 

Hah! I've just never used forums like this before until very recently out of necessity. Beforehand, If I couldn't find a solution already posted somewhere, I just kinda gave up. 

0 Kudos
jinlsui
1 Copper

Adjust XPS 15 Screen Brightness with Dell Color Premium

Jump to solution

I have my XPS15 9570 for just a few weeks.  Initially, the screen brightness was adjustable via the screen hotkey/2nd function keys.  But after a few Windows updates, drivers updates, and bios updates, I found myself not able to adjust the screen brightness except in the bios.  For a while, I was preparing to return the laptop.  After searching and trying for a few more days, I finally figured it out that it can be adjusted through the software 'Dell Color Premium', which is a screen calibration software that came with the laptop.  Now I know that the screen and the bios are still working properly, except the keyboard macro for 2nd functions. If you have tried all the other ways to adjust the screen brightness and failed so far, this may be your best and last option.  Dell Color Premium is free and can be downloaded on Dell website, if it did not come with your laptop. 

Dell still needs to fix the 2nd function key macros for screen adjustment !!!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps.

CursedGem
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for the advice! But unfortunately I cannot download Dell Color Premium. Still haven't quite figured out what the problem is but I'm getting closer to the solution : ) 

0 Kudos
john_star_man
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Did you ever resolve this issue as I have the same problem. The only way  can change brightness on my XPS15 is to boot into BIOS & change settings in there (which is of course ridiculous). I ried also to download the DELL colour premium prog but as I do not have touch screen/ 4K it wold not install. Rally frustrating.... 😞  John

0 Kudos
john_star_man
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I just managed to resolve this issue by following instructions here. Can't believe I can actually  adjust my screen brightness  - hooray... 🙂 hope this helps others.. John

https://superuser.com/questions/1291883/cant-adjust-brightness-on-dell-xps-13-under-windows-10

Gerry Wu
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had the same issue, rolling back the UHD 620 driver solved my issue.

Device Manager > Display adapters > Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 > Right click properties

Under the Driver tab there's an option 'Roll Back Driver'.

For me the driver date on 09/20/2018 was preventing me from making any adjustment to screen brightness and color, so I had to roll back to a previous one. 

Jump to solution
I didn't roll back, I just reinstalled the same driver and worked out 🙂
hbbeam
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Something else to check if you're a Splashtop User (remote desktop software)... Under Device Manager, Splashtop had installed its own version of the Generic PnP Monitor (you can tell because it has Splashtop in the name).  I replaced that with Windows version and I was back in business on a Dell Precision 5530.

0 Kudos