Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

10 Posts

January 11th, 2019 15:00

XPS 15 makes screeching noise!

My XPS 15 makes a screeching noise once in a while. It's not even associated with heavy processor/memory use (just web browsing etc). It's not disturbingly loud but it's loud enough to make me feel concerned. Also the fan noise is quite loud and happens often (few seconds of very loud noise and stops). Are these normal? I got this yesterday so this better be okay...

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

January 11th, 2019 18:00

Do you notice the screeching noise occurs when the fan is starting to run faster? Does it have a metal on metal sound to it..like a bad bearing? Run system diagnostics. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full system diagnostics and pay attention to the fan and hard drive results. Basically only the fan and hard drive have moving parts and could create a noise similar to your description. Now even if everything checks out fine, I would call Dell tech support for your region. The system is obviously under warranty and they can diagnose the cause and decide on a course of action.

January 12th, 2019 11:00

@JOcean The screeching noise happens quite randomly, I don't think it's related to the fan noise. The last time I heard it was little after the fan stopped spinning loudly (so loud fan noise for few seconds -> nothing for a few minutes -> screeching noise)

19 Posts

December 10th, 2019 17:00

I have the same problem...

4 Posts

January 8th, 2020 13:00

Did the noise ever hurt or break your computer the past year? I bought mine same time as you, but haven't used it for a year and just started using it and I hear like a hard drive spinning sound even though don't have hard drive and it does it just like you, at random times not when using memory or Processing, did you ever find out the cause?

• 

16.7K Posts

February 12th, 2020 08:00

ZeeVee,

I see from the log notes that the Dell Escalation team will be contacting you to address the system issue today between 1pm-3pm. If they do not contact you please post back to let us know.

8 Posts

February 12th, 2020 08:00

I have the same issue. After multiple motherboard replacements, the screeching noise is still there. This does not seems to be an isolated issue. Dell please address this issue and offer us a solution!

8 Posts

February 27th, 2020 16:00

Happy to report that after much persuasion, Dell made it right for me with a replacement laptop. Thank-you for listening to your customers!!!

No Events found!