NicGen
1 Copper

XPS 15 ram socket issue

I have a XPS 15 which now out of warranty. All of a sudden it refused to boot flashing 2 amber lights and 3 white. So RAM problem.
I have only the 2 8gb factory ram sticks in it.

I tried stick 1 on its own in slot a  - computer boots fine.

I tried stick 2 on its own in slot a - computer boots fine

I tried stick 1 on its own in slot b - computer boots fine

I tried stick 2 on its own in slot b - computer boots fine

So it seems that it only fails to boot when both sticks are in together. And so it does not appear to be a ram stick issue.

What could this be? Can this be fixed or do I need to replace the motherboard? Can it still be a RAM stick fault?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: XPS 15 ram socket issue

It could be a CMOS battery issue. The following support page will help. Try removing the CMOS battery (coin cell) for 15 minutes and then reinstall the battery. You could also replace it with a new battery but that version of coin cell is a little tricky to find.

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/19/xps-15-9570-laptop/xps-15-9570-service_manual/procedur...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284985/how-to-perform-a-bios-or-cmos-reset-and-or-c...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
NicGen
1 Copper

I tried removing the CMOS battery and then plugging it in again after 1 h or so, but the problem is still there. I also got a different stick of RAM and tested all setting with it as well.

Long story short: if there is RAM i both socket the laptop does not boot (or it boots briefly and then freezes) and I get the 2 amber + 3 white blinking.

Is there anything else worth doing short of buying  anew motherboard?

0 Kudos
NicGen
1 Copper

Right now I have the laptop working but using only one RAM socket so now I have 8GB of RAM.

In order to keep working with my laptop I need my 16 GB of RAM back.

I have been told to replace the motherboard but frankly I can't afford that on the 2 years old laptop.I suggested to get a 16GB single RAM stick and keep using one part. Any thoughts on this? Since the motherboard is faulty am I likely to simply run into another problem down the road and so wasting the RAM?

0 Kudos