Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

1 Message

August 13th, 2020 01:00

XPS 17 9700 Charging noise

I started to hear this electrical noise and couldn't figure out where it came from. After some searching i tried to unplug the charger, and the sound disappeared. Plugged the charger back in, and the sound's back. It's coming from under the keyboard, probably the left side, but not as far out as the speakers. Looked it up and can't seem to find anything about charge noise, except from spinning hard drives or fan noise. But the fans are spinning at the same speed regardless of whether I'm charging or not. Any thoughts?

• 

25.1K Posts

August 13th, 2020 08:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 13th, 2020 08:00

jacob___,

You can run the diagnostics to see if any hw is failing.  To run the click here.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 17th, 2020 06:00

jacob___,

Checking to see if you had time to run the diagnostics and if so, did anything fail? Let us know.

• 

16.7K Posts

August 19th, 2020 09:00

jacob___,

Checking to see if you had time to run the diagnostics and if so, did anything fail? Let us know. We have not heard back from you.

1 Message

September 25th, 2020 21:00

I got exactly the same problem.

What can I do?

5 Posts

October 11th, 2020 08:00

Hi,

I also have this bothersome hiss/ noise while charging on my XPS 9700. I would love to have a solution to the problem.

Thank you,

33 Posts

October 12th, 2020 21:00

I was noticing the same thing but not in my computer, but rather inside my Dell Thunderbolt Dock- WD19TB. I called tech support about it and they say I shouldn't worry about it. It's not a constant electrical sound, but rather I can hear electrical charging buzz to the beat of the data flowing through it through the ethernet cable. It almost sounds like a hard drive.

1 Message

October 30th, 2020 10:00

I have the same problems.  when plug in,  you will here the noise from the both speakers.  

Any idea how to fix this?

Thx

5 Posts

October 31st, 2020 00:00

Not sure about from the speakers but I jumped through a bunch of hoops w tech support.

the only thing that worked to get rid of the hiss was to disable turbo boost in bios. After disabling turbo boost the machine also stopped running like a house fire. A shame all features don’t  work on a ‘premium’ device. Not sure if turbo boost issue is on Intel or Dell.

• 

25.1K Posts

October 31st, 2020 03:00

Hi!

I have replied via private note.

Dell-Deepti

November 2nd, 2020 03:00

Why ar you hiding behind private messages? this is clearly an issue most of us want resolved. it's very frustrating trying to focus on work when there's a constant whirring noise coming from the laptop

• 

25.1K Posts

November 2nd, 2020 03:00

We understand your concern but you could observe the noise in a busy environment to see if the noise is more evident.

• 

25.1K Posts

November 4th, 2020 00:00

Hi,

It is normal for the sound to occur from the capacitor while on charge. However, as long as the noise is not loud enough to be heard in a  busy environment, we have nothing to worry about.

November 4th, 2020 00:00

is this really your professional suggestion? use my laptop in a louder environment to drown out the buzz on my £1400 piece of equipment?

we need to know why the noise is occuring while it's on charge. other threads have replies from dell 'experts' stating we shouldn't worry about the noise, this must mean you know what is behind the noise? otherwise telling us not to worry without knowing the cause could be causing long term problems for the laptop, which probably won't be evident until the warranty conveniently runs out

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G3-15-3579-makes-strange-noises/td-p/6176116

i can't believe Dell thinks this is an acceptable answer, it's shocking customer service. unacceptable

5 Posts

November 4th, 2020 01:00

@annoyedusernumber1billion 

Try disabling turbo boost. Worked w mine. These machines are not designed properly. Truly pathetic by dell.

No Events found!