Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2020 22:00

XPS 17 (9700) battery drain

I have mow owned this laptop for a couple months and have delt with the battary drain I decided to contact dell after seeing others having the similar problem. Painstaking a dell technician was sent to my home to replace the motherboard free of charge which was nice but the problem hasn’t been fixed. I just finished playing a game on my laptop and had to end early after getting a warning that my laptop was at 3% while plugged in mind you after only 2 hours of playing a game. It’s unacceptable that dell thinks a lap should only need to run for 2 hours!! 

Just before that trying to fix the problem I completely updated my laptop through Dell’s update thing. Where there was a bios update it needed to perform as well as through the windows update. I checked on the dell site for any problems with my battery which it says there aren’t and my battery will still die in a little over 2 hours of running a video game. 

if there is any fix or a way to just limit the computer not to drain power that fast please tell me. Otherwise I would like to find a way to return this computer for a refund and spend my money somewhere else because a laptop that costed $2.7K shouldn last fir well over 2 hours before running out of battery while plugged in and in fact shouldn’t drain power at all while plugged in

• 

25K Posts

November 18th, 2021 08:00

This is the practical model of the battery. On a 6 cell battery, each cell can provide 15 minutes output, which means 15 minutes * 6cells = 90 minutes of High Performance usage. However, with the advent of technology and hardware also with the Power Management utilities built within the modern computers, the usage hour has drastically increased and we may get it anywhere between 2-6 hours depending on the usage, applications, hardware settings, and system age. The given 4 hours output is definitely well within its usable and average range. This is working as designed and we do not see this to be defective. Over period the life expectancy is expected to decrease.

• 

25K Posts

November 21st, 2020 22:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

4 Posts

November 24th, 2020 12:00

Tagging on. Same issue with the 9700. CPU 10875/ GPU 2060. I am reluctant to have someone replace the motherboard after hearing this story.

After 1 hour of gaming, battery drained 23%. Same results on Charger, and on the WD19TB dock

January 18th, 2021 16:00

im having the same issues

Watching FB live full brightness (power mode best performance)

when i unplug my computer its already at 96%
2 minutes - 95%
3 minutes 93%
10 minutes 87%
15 minutes 82%
21 minutes 76%
26 minutes 71%
32 minutes 64%
38 minutes 59%
42 minutes 54%
46 minutes 50%
55 minutes 39%
74 minutes 20%

• 

16.6K Posts

January 19th, 2021 05:00

Andrew ferderber,

Watching any program Live without the battery plugged in will drain the battery faster.  Have you gone into Power manager and changed the power plan to Custom? If not try that to see if the battery use will improve.

20 Posts

March 6th, 2021 16:00

That is pretty consistent with my battery on my new computer, purchased in 2020. And I an only reading text on on the dell website.

March 15th, 2021 18:00

Having the same issue.  I see lots of reports about this issue, but few comments with advice from Dell.  

March 15th, 2021 19:00

This is not normal, and is unacceptable. I had a similar problem -- and between the mother-board, daughter-board, and a new batter, full updates to bios and the power management tools, it finally got fixed. Don't accept this! Call Dell tech support, tell them the problem has not been resolved. Tell them you want a new battery, new mother and daughter boards (this will get you new ports), and you want them to walk you through all the updates, and the power management tools. You should get what you paid for and the tech support, warranty, and repairs you paid for.

4 Posts

March 17th, 2021 09:00

Update to my similar issue: Dell replaced the motherboard, which solved battery drain issues with the OEM charger. The motherboard swap did not solve the drain issues with the WD19TB dock.

After a replacement dock, and then at Dell's request, sent the 9700 in to their Houston location. They swapped the motherboard again, and allege that it is fixed.

Three motherboards, and two docks later - The battery continues to drain while using the recommended WD19TB dock. Driver/Firmware are updated. 

As much as it pains me to gimp a machine, my solution is: Disable Four (4) cores, and Disable Turbo Boost. It does not drain on the dock.

1 Message

March 19th, 2021 10:00

I have the same problem here.  Battery drains on very light usage and lasts less than 2 hours.

Have had the motherboard and battery replaced with no improvements.  This is really not good enough when I should be expecting around 7 hours.

1 Message

March 27th, 2021 00:00

I had the same issue. I am now working with Dell on fixing this issue.

What they have suggested me to check are 

1. Battery Health in BIOS
2. ePSA test 

And everything looks great for both tests. Now I am waiting for their response on this issue. Will update more here as things proceed.

26 Posts

September 12th, 2021 15:00

same issue here
less than 2 hours of work on battery (text editing) with the "Battery Saver on" enabled
any response from Dell?

October 19th, 2021 07:00

I'm having the same issue, and can't figure out the cause. I've had the laptop just over 6 months now, and the poor battery life is recent. I used to get almost a full day's work on battery, now battery lasts only a couple of hours on full charge with light usage (checking emails, browsing web, chatting on Teams). All software, drivers and BIOS up to date.

5 Posts

November 9th, 2021 06:00

I've got the same problem after one year. I can work only 2 hours on battery, thats ridicilous.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2021 20:00

Same here, I can't get more than 2 hours on my laptop XPS 17, 4k, 2060. I'm running it in power save mode, with a low resolution, Bluetooth off, etc. Battery health is excellent. All updates to OS and Firmware were done daily, and nothing changed.
For a $3000 laptop, this is unacceptable, Dell dropped the ball on this one. Never again I'll buy Dell or recommend it to my peers.

No Events found!