Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2020 22:00

XPS 17 (9700) battery drain

I have mow owned this laptop for a couple months and have delt with the battary drain I decided to contact dell after seeing others having the similar problem. Painstaking a dell technician was sent to my home to replace the motherboard free of charge which was nice but the problem hasn’t been fixed. I just finished playing a game on my laptop and had to end early after getting a warning that my laptop was at 3% while plugged in mind you after only 2 hours of playing a game. It’s unacceptable that dell thinks a lap should only need to run for 2 hours!! 

Just before that trying to fix the problem I completely updated my laptop through Dell’s update thing. Where there was a bios update it needed to perform as well as through the windows update. I checked on the dell site for any problems with my battery which it says there aren’t and my battery will still die in a little over 2 hours of running a video game. 

if there is any fix or a way to just limit the computer not to drain power that fast please tell me. Otherwise I would like to find a way to return this computer for a refund and spend my money somewhere else because a laptop that costed $2.7K shouldn last fir well over 2 hours before running out of battery while plugged in and in fact shouldn’t drain power at all while plugged in

2 Posts

November 16th, 2021 09:00

It obviously has occurred because of an update either Dell or Microsoft.  I actually have marveled at the amount of time I could use my year and a half old xps 17... 4 hours plus with plenty left .  And now for about 3 weeks I get 2 hours max.  I wish everyone here with the same sudden issue that we would at least get ...."we are aware of the issue cause and are working on a solution"  I don't care who caused it... Just fix it!

Thanks

2 Posts

November 17th, 2021 07:00

I received my first response ... we'll look into it but your battery is old and they wear out ...here is the phone number to get a new one.  I may order one depending on the price just because but I don't think that is the answer since it just started happening.

• 

25K Posts

November 19th, 2021 08:00

Hi There, We see that you had contacted us recently regarding issues with your computer, and our experts have been waiting for your confirmation on the outcome of the suggested steps/ provide the requested details, this service ticket is currently in-progress. Please reply to this message, so we can keep you posted with further updates on the service status.

Regards,

Paventhan M

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

December 30th, 2023 21:47

Currently getting 50% drain in 20 minutes using only a web browser. This is supposed to be a market leading system. An utter and extremely expensive disappointment. I knew about the battery drain with intense tasks and it was handleable, but since a certain bios update, the battery now drains without warning and have lost projects I'm working on 3 times due to a sudden death of the laptop without warning. I have it permanently plugged in to the WD19TB dock. I'll never buy a Dell again. At this price point a piece of tech needs to work properly.

(edited)

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

January 24th, 2024 18:10

That's okay, I just got off the phone with Dell support for a couple hours on a couple issues.  During the conversation, I brought up keeping the laptop longer than 4 years and she mentioned taking the power off once it was charged to 100% until it droppd to around 20%, something I never did unless I was away from the house bcause of the short battery life.

After finishing the call, I had some stuff to do so I unplugged it.  Maybe a half hour later, I came back to the laptop and spent maybe 10 minutes on it, I got a battery warning, and it was nearly drained.  It's now a laptop that needs AC all the time at this point.

Oh, one of the reasons for the support call was keystrokes not registering since their latest updates.  As you can see from the text. That wasn't fixed either.

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

January 26th, 2024 02:54

An update to my previous post since most will complain but few give credit.

I received a return call in her last 20 minutes of her shift and I told her about the fact that the keystrokes were still not working properly.  We walked thru a few more tests and she determined that the keyboard needed to be replaced.  She set up the work order and said I should be contacted in three business days.

I got a call first thing in the morning to set up an appointment which was scheduled for 11:30 AM.  He arrived within minutes of the time, maybe even a bit early and walked out my door one hour later.

The laptop feels brand new and, so far, all issues were resolved.  I feel like my three-year-old XPS feels brand new.

1 Message

February 20th, 2024 04:29

Dell is <Profanity deleted. DELL-Admin> when it comes to battery life. I have never had a Dell that got more than 2-3 hours brand new from a battery. Mac on the other hand.... 18 hours or so?

Bye Dell.

(edited)

No Events found!