XPS

Last reply by 09-23-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

XPS 17 9700 crashes when sleeping - Goodix fingerprint to blame

I originally posted about this back in August 2020 in a post by the same title (typo fixed, question mark removed). XPS 17 9700 crashes when sleeping - Googix fingerprint to blame? 

A number of people with recently purchased XPS laptops reported that it was the same for them and the fix I suggested in that post fixed things for them, thus I now have next to vanishing doubt that there is something wrong with the Goodix fingerprint device. 

I'm reposting as I have had a reappearance of the issue but this time less obviously causing BSODs. Dell replaced my motherboard back in the autumn and after a full OS reinstall everything seemed to be fine - no more crashes. Then a few updates later in the last few weeks I noticed that my laptop was sitting on a failed to restart recovery screen when I returned to it after it had been left idle and plugged in. This time SupportAssistant wasn't picking up the presence of a BSOD. I did a full reinstall again but the problem persisted. Eventually I went through the Event Viewer and found a reference to a dump, reinstalled WinDbg and found that the Goodix fingerprint reader was back presenting power management timeouts. (screen grab below - see linked post for details) 

I've applied my workaround as many people also found that this worked and I'll post here in a couple of days time if it has worked again. 

Screenshot 2021-01-22 201116.png

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

After a few days this power setting does seem to have cured my crash and restart while sleeping issue. 

View solution in original post

Replies (4)
2 Jasper
2 Jasper

After a few days this power setting does seem to have cured my crash and restart while sleeping issue. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi, can't use workaround since poweroptions are missing in newer win10, pls help.

Best /Peter

PekitP,

Please run the support assist by following the information below.  Reply back with the results.

Run SupportAssist (My Dell/Dell Support Center) specific device checkup

1. Use the Windows search or run box to type SupportAssist (May be “My Dell” or “Dell Support Center”)
  2. Launch the available diagnostic

Note:  If none of them are installed, SupportAssist can be download from:

http://del.ly/6604yCssg;

1. From the SupportAssist main window click Checkup.
  2. Click the Scan a Specific Device drop down menu.
  3. Under System Devices click the required device option to start the Test.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

PekitP,

Following up to see if you ran the support assist app and did it resolve the issue?  Let us know.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor