Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 11th, 2021 09:00

XPS 17 9710 issues with waking up from sleep and boot

Hi,

My brand new XPS 17 9710 frequently (5+ times a day) has issues with starting up from sleep, hibernation, or a previous shut down. Most of the cases involve a failure for the screen to turn on, though I've also noticed frozen Windows login screens as well. This can be quite frustrating, as having to hold the power button to force shutdown is unproductive and doesn't resolve the problem (it comes back anyways). I believe it is worth mentioning that this occurs plugged in or not. In addition, this occurs regardless of the number of peripherals I have plugged in. Finally, I will also mention that my Direct Graphics Controller mode in the BIOS is enabled (without it, my external monitors flicker, though that's another issue).

Things I've tried, that I can remember:

• Adjusting power and sleep settings
  • Reinstalling display adapter and monitor drivers from device manager and GeForce Experience
  • Turning on USB wake settings in BIOS
  • Turning off Fast Start
  • Running Windows troubleshooter (lol)

Any help would be appreciated.

5 Practitioner

• 

2.4K Posts

September 12th, 2021 22:00

Open CMD 

powercfg /setdcvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

powercfg /setacvalueindex scheme_current sub_none F15576E8-98B7-4186-B944-EAFA664402D9 0

Now in order to validate commands ran properly 

Powercfg -a

Output of the command should say Network Disconnected

• 

25.1K Posts

September 11th, 2021 09:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

September 12th, 2021 09:00

I am experiencing exactly the same behaviour on my brand new Dell XPS 17 9710.

It's really frustrating because it forces me to force shutdown every time it happens.

Setting screen to "Never turn off" in "Power & sleep" seems to be helping.

26 Posts

September 12th, 2021 15:00

what do you see if you run powercfg /a - Network Connected or Disconnected?
please use this manual to make it Disconnected - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/146593-enable-disable-network-connectivity-modern-standby-windows-10-a.html - OPTION FOUR

_210913010221.png

September 13th, 2021 08:00

Yeah changing the screen behaviour on the laptop close seems to be a workaround, though I don't know if that's a long term solution

I ran the commands and changed it to Network Disconnected, I will mark as solution if it works out. Thank you!

It says "Network Connected", I just used the commands provided by XPS_Man to turn it to "Network Disconnected." Hopefully that fixes the problem, thank you!

September 13th, 2021 13:00

I switched to "Network Disconnected" (verified with `powercfg /a`) and it did not help.

I was able to consistently reproduce sleep bug by setting screen timeout to 1 minute and sleep to 2 minutes. Almost every single time the laptop would not wake up (requiring forced shutdown). Once, the laptop woke up (windows hello camera kicked in), but the screen remained black.

The only reliable way to prevent this bug from happening (at least for me), is to make sure that the laptop goes into hibernate mode, before it goes to sleep.

This is less than ideal.

September 14th, 2021 04:00

Hmm, that doesn't seem to be the case for me. Though I still use hibernate to prevent the laptop randomly waking up in my bag, the sleep issue seems to have been resolved. Best of luck in troubleshooting!

1 Message

February 10th, 2022 03:00

Hate to wake up an older thread but I just received my 9710 and am having same issues.  I9, 32gb ram, 2 2TB Storage, using a Caldigit Thunderbolt 4 HUB with 2 4k monitors.  Sometimes after sleep, monitors will not reconnect to laptop which forces a hard reboot..  Also tried unpowering and repowering the Caldigit Hub which sometimes solves the problem.  Started to believe it was a Thunderbolt 4 issue and after some research discovered that the Thunderbolt 4 ports on the 9710 have different priorities.  The Thunderbolt 4 ports on the left side of the 9710 have priority over the Thunderbolt 4 ports on the right side.  Moved the Caldigit cable from the right side to the left side and 90% of my issues went away.  Worth a try if you have a similar configuration.  Hope this was helpful.

1 Message

March 30th, 2022 08:00

I had a problem with the flickering of the LCD monitor and pixelation.  The pixelation of the LCD monitor happens all the time when the mouse is not touched for about 5 minutes.  Then I would lose all the Photoshop work that I was working on.  A technician came to my apartment on March 1, 2022 to replace the LCD screen and since then, the pixelation happened once.  The flickering of the screen which happened all the time had also happened once, after an update on March 21, 2022. The screen was very glaring. 

dsurviv_0-1648655768837.png

April 3rd, 2022 17:00

This did it for me too.

No Events found!