XPS

Last reply by 07-27-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 17 9710 left speaker not working

My XPS 17 9710 has an issue where the left speakers stop working intermittently. Reinstalling the drivers or going to the BIOS to disable/enable speakers have no effect. However, when I put the laptop to sleep and come back to it several hours later, it often is working again.

The issue happens both in Windows 10 and 11. I currently have a service request open to replace the left speaker, but I doubt it will solve this issue as it doesn't seem to be speaker-related. This is a very frustrating issue to have with a $3000 multimedia laptop -- I would like to know what Dell is currently doing to resolve this reoccurring issue with the XPS 17.

System details:

BIOS 1.8.0

i7-11800H

GTX 3060

32GB RAM

Latest Realtek drivers (x.160 A6)

Replies (16)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

We may have found out what the problem is on select systems. The problem is caused by Waves Audio + the Driver.

To fix the issue with a workaround:

1. disable "waves maxxaudio universal services" app from startup. Make sure it is not running.

2. go to the sound control panel for the realtek speakers and disable the "enable applications to take exclusive control of this device" option.

3. Go to bios -> integrated devices and disable audio, apply settings, then re-enable audio. Restart.

This seems to get both speakers working again...

UNTIL Windows update would download/update new realtek or waves drivers. Another XPS 17 owner and I have been in communication and noticed that our speakers literally stopped working at the same time -- and it appears that a Windows Update had been pushed at that point. After updating to realtek driver 187, then disabling the waves maxxaudio universal services app from startup and disabling "exclusive audio mode" for the speakers, we got our left speakers working again. 

Again, this is a workaround rather than a solution because future updates may cause the device to revert to not working, and the software is technically not working as designed because it must be disabled for the hardware to function properly.

Never mind. Literally 20 minutes after writing and posting this, my left speaker is gone again. No idea.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Well, the new (refurnished) replacement laptop's speakers work, at least. Unfortunately, my microphone does not -- the hardware is nowhere to be found.

The mic is enabled in the BIOS and the windows settings.

Update = After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Have exactly the same XPS and left speaker stoped working after BIOS and Windows updates. I succesfully restored the left speaker operation by doing a Roll Back Driver.

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private/direct message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Update = Resolved After completing troubleshooting, a DELL-Cares agent setup a part replacement.

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session.
Find your Service Tag

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor