XPS

Last reply by 04-10-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 17 9710 screen shows black bars and goes black and white

Today when waking up my laptop I was met with black bars and the screen jumping around in black and white. When I connect it to an external monitor. It seems to reset everything and the screen goes back to normal. Everything is fine until the screen turns off due to inactivity, and then it does it again. 

any help? Thanks! 273055709_782933889767796_2670895291121703831_n.jpg273065756_383064733628385_2246738791337021205_n.jpg

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

happened to me also - get to device manager - display adapter - Intel UHD graphics - driver - and click roll back. That worked for me.

View solution in original post

Maddeningly, frustratingly, I experienced this issue as well. The fix solved the problem! YAYY!!!!

Notes to all:

1) it begs the question how concerned should we be when the next Intel UHD graphics driver update gets applied? Time will tell...

2) one (admittedly cheesy) workaround I used until seeing this actual fix: booted into BIOS (via F2), then simply clicked Exit. Voila, the system would correct restart, beauteous XPS screen, 17" inches and all  

3) for anyone finding themselves with "no choice" but to hard power down?? If  the keyboard's responsive, even in situations where you *can't* see the screen, try Alt-F4'ing once the system's settled in, then press Enter. That should allow a more graceful Close (fingers crossed).  Since the screen was arguably viewable, one could tell if/when the option was on Shut Down.

THANK you so MUCH, lubaba, for both your solution and your sharing it with us other XPS 17'ers :-))

View solution in original post

Replies (14)

Hello, we see you are looking for assistance. Click our DELL-Cares username, on the right click, "Send this user a private message". Provide to us the private Dell PC Service Tag. If you need assistance finding your Service Tag, click here.

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

happened to me also - get to device manager - display adapter - Intel UHD graphics - driver - and click roll back. That worked for me.

I was going to do that, but that button is greyed out. 

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have had the same issue for many weeks! 

The rollback button is also greyed out for me too.

I'm also on Windows 11 and all drivers are current.

Bar screen 9710Bar screen 9710

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Exactly the same problem here. Started in the last couple of weeks
Latest Windows 11 with all updates.
Also getting some occasional rendering glitches on windows on external display but only slightly.
Can't consistently produce them to take a photo. May be related.

Also can't roll back the driver. button is greyed out.

20220218_210055.jpg

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The FIX = Click on display adapter, right-click on Intel UHD video driver, uninstall.

Restart PC and should not have that issue.

Hi,

I'm one of the Managers from the Dell Social Media support team. I'm glad that the issues are resolved. If there is any feedback you'd like to share about your experience with our support, please let us know. We'll be glad to work on it to improve our services.

In case you have any issues or queries in the future, feel free to reach out to us. Thank you for your time and patience. Best regards, Dell Social Media Team

#IWork4Dell
Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. To send us a private message, click our DELL-Cares username. Our Forum profile page will then appear. On the right, click "Send this user a private message".

Maddeningly, frustratingly, I experienced this issue as well. The fix solved the problem! YAYY!!!!

Notes to all:

1) it begs the question how concerned should we be when the next Intel UHD graphics driver update gets applied? Time will tell...

2) one (admittedly cheesy) workaround I used until seeing this actual fix: booted into BIOS (via F2), then simply clicked Exit. Voila, the system would correct restart, beauteous XPS screen, 17" inches and all  

3) for anyone finding themselves with "no choice" but to hard power down?? If  the keyboard's responsive, even in situations where you *can't* see the screen, try Alt-F4'ing once the system's settled in, then press Enter. That should allow a more graceful Close (fingers crossed).  Since the screen was arguably viewable, one could tell if/when the option was on Shut Down.

THANK you so MUCH, lubaba, for both your solution and your sharing it with us other XPS 17'ers :-))

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

The exactly same issue showed up this morning on my 9710 which I own since December 28th 2021.

The Installed driver is Intel UHD Graphics, dated 07/10/2021 and Version 30.0.100.9955. Rollback button is grayed out. Why does this happen only since today? I've seen the machine did updates last night. Maybe that's the reason for this.

When connecting a external display the issue is gone. 

I'll try to install the Intel Graphics DCH Driver from here and keep you informed.

Edit: No changes of the version after update and restart.

Next time the Issue shows up i'll post a picture.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor