Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

90 Posts

December 30th, 2021 16:00

XPS 17'' 9710

Hello @jphughan 
i had bought a xps 15 '' but now i want to upgrade to 17 ''.
the new model is called xps 17 '' 9710, i have read that some small problems have been solved with this version. it is true?

or do you advise me to wait for the next model? do you already know the release date (approximately)?

thank you
happy Holidays

90 Posts

January 31st, 2022 13:00

@jphughan 

I'm sorry I'm still asking you something !!
I wanted to buy the xps 9710 17 '' but the version for companies with windows pro is gone, they removed it.
there is only the version for private use with windows home.

what do you think about it?

thank you and excuse me

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

January 31st, 2022 13:00

@aleangiulli  If you some features out of the Pro version, then you can always buy an in-place upgrade to Pro through the Microsoft Store later.  It might cost more than the cost to get Pro from the factory, but if the configuration you want isn't available with Pro, then I guess you're stuck.  If you don't need any of the additional features of Pro, then don't worry about it and keep in mind that you can always buy the in-place upgrade later if you find that you actually need it.

90 Posts

February 1st, 2022 01:00

Ok. Do you recommend Windows 10 and then later upgrade to Windows 11 manually or choose Windows 11 installed from the factory?

90 Posts

February 1st, 2022 13:00

@jphughan Ok. Do you recommend Windows 10 and then later upgrade to Windows 11 manually or choose Windows 11 installed from the factory?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 1st, 2022 14:00

@aleangiulli  For me thus far, Windows 11 has introduced annoyances like a Start menu and Search function that occasionally break or become very slow to respond, without adding anything that is useful to me personally.  It's not annoying enough for me to perform a clean install of Windows 10, but if I were buying a new system, I would probably stick with Windows 10 and upgrade later.  Of course if Windows 11 has something useful for you, then you might want to go another way.

90 Posts

February 1st, 2022 23:00

@jphughan 

yes, you're right, I'll do this, I'll start with Windows 10. If I occasionally have to format the computer and restore from the 'factory settings' system, will the computer always restart with Windows 10? and then i will always have to upgrade it to windows 11?

I'll explain better .. when I switch to Windows 11 permanently, if I have to restore the 'factory settings', the computer will always return to the factory settings, so with Windows 10 ??

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 2nd, 2022 05:00

@aleangiulli  If you use the Dell factory restore tool, then it should go back to whatever you ordered. But I personally wouldn’t recommend doing that since that will become more and more outdated no matter where you start. I always perform a clean install using Windows installation media from Microsoft and then install drivers manually or via Dell Update. But I don’t want to keep answering fairly basic questions that you can probably find answers to somewhere else. I would suggest that you just buy the system and deal with questions like this as they become necessary.

90 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 06:00

@jphughan 

yes, I started the order. when it arrives I leave it with dell installation or do I format it and do a clean installation? with Windows and Windows driver !!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 2nd, 2022 06:00

@aleangiulli  You can do whoever you want. Obviously most people just use their laptops out of the box. If you want to start without any Dell customizations, then you can do a clean install.

90 Posts

February 5th, 2022 05:00

@jphughan 

all dell drivers and utilities how do i install them?
windows install generic drivers, would it be better to use the factory installed ones?
thank you

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 5th, 2022 06:00

@aleangiulli  I’m going to stop again, because it doesn’t look like we’ll ever get to the end of your questions. I think you’re just going to keep asking me new questions as long as I keep answering them, and I don’t want to do this with you forever. You started this thread asking a very simple question, and somehow we’ve been talking for over a month now.

If you don’t know how to install drivers after a clean install, you probably shouldn’t be doing a clean install. If you want to LEARN how to do a clean install, then I would suggest that you spend some time FINDING how to do that by reading some existing information. Sometimes learning involves more than just asking a question and waiting for someone to hand you the answer.

Good luck with your new system.

90 Posts

February 5th, 2022 08:00

@jphughan 

sorry for the questions, I got caught up in the discussion.
you have been very kind and experienced.
Thank you very much, bye

90 Posts

April 2nd, 2022 08:00

@jphughan 

Excuse me again, finally everything has arrived, xps 17 '' 9710 + dockstation WD19TBS.

I have everything installed and everything is fine.
The only thing is this, when I attach the laptop to my Dell 24 '' screen via dockstation with hdmi cable, the resolution is not perfect.
There is little fog.
The image is not perfectly sharp.

The laptop has the lid closed, I only use the DELL 24 '' monitor (no duplicate monitor, no extend monitor).

In your opinion, what can this depend on?
A thousand thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 09:00

@aleangiulli  Check Windows Display Settings to confirm that the resolution is correct -- for example, I had a Dell 24" display that defaulted to 1920x1080 even though its native resolution was 1920x1200 -- and also verify that it's set to regular 100% scaling.  Then log off and back on while the display is attached and the laptop lid is closed.  If it's still "not perfect" or "perfectly sharp", I'm not sure what to tell you.  Have you tried that display with another input or source device to compare?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 10:00

@aleangiulli  Did you do exactly what I suggested above, including completely logging off Windows and logging back on while the external display is attached and the lid is closed?

No Events found!