XPS

Last reply by 04-10-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
3 Argentum

XPS 17'' 9710

Hello @jphughan 
i had bought a xps 15 '' but now i want to upgrade to 17 ''.
the new model is called xps 17 '' 9710, i have read that some small problems have been solved with this version. it is true?

or do you advise me to wait for the next model? do you already know the release date (approximately)?

thank you
happy Holidays

Replies (57)

@jphughan 

all dell drivers and utilities how do i install them?
windows install generic drivers, would it be better to use the factory installed ones?
thank you

7 Plutonium

@aleangiulli  I’m going to stop again, because it doesn’t look like we’ll ever get to the end of your questions. I think you’re just going to keep asking me new questions as long as I keep answering them, and I don’t want to do this with you forever. You started this thread asking a very simple question, and somehow we’ve been talking for over a month now.

If you don’t know how to install drivers after a clean install, you probably shouldn’t be doing a clean install. If you want to LEARN how to do a clean install, then I would suggest that you spend some time FINDING how to do that by reading some existing information. Sometimes learning involves more than just asking a question and waiting for someone to hand you the answer.

Good luck with your new system.

@jphughan 

sorry for the questions, I got caught up in the discussion.
you have been very kind and experienced.
Thank you very much, bye

@jphughan 

Excuse me again, finally everything has arrived, xps 17 '' 9710 + dockstation WD19TBS.

I have everything installed and everything is fine.
The only thing is this, when I attach the laptop to my Dell 24 '' screen via dockstation with hdmi cable, the resolution is not perfect.
There is little fog.
The image is not perfectly sharp.

The laptop has the lid closed, I only use the DELL 24 '' monitor (no duplicate monitor, no extend monitor).

In your opinion, what can this depend on?
A thousand thanks

7 Plutonium

@aleangiulli  Check Windows Display Settings to confirm that the resolution is correct -- for example, I had a Dell 24" display that defaulted to 1920x1080 even though its native resolution was 1920x1200 -- and also verify that it's set to regular 100% scaling.  Then log off and back on while the display is attached and the laptop lid is closed.  If it's still "not perfect" or "perfectly sharp", I'm not sure what to tell you.  Have you tried that display with another input or source device to compare?

@jphughan 

the settings are ok.

when the laptop is attached to the monitor via dockstation, on the 24 '' monitor the settings automatically go to 1920x1200 and 100% zoom.

if I unplug the laptop, the settings on the laptop return to 1920x1200 and 120% zoom.

i think the dockstation does not transfer at full resolution, is this possible?
if I connect the 24 '' monitor to the desktop computer with the same hdmi cable, the quality is better (the desktop computer is a 5/6 year old PC)

7 Plutonium

@aleangiulli  Did you do exactly what I suggested above, including completely logging off Windows and logging back on while the external display is attached and the lid is closed?

7 Plutonium

@aleangiulli  I'll just tell you what's wrong even if you didn't follow my suggestion.  No, the problem is not bandwidth on the dock if you're using a single 1920x1080 display.  That dock can handle about 8x more video bandwidth than you're using.  Even if it was in USB-C mode rather than Thunderbolt mode, it would have about 4x more bandwidth than you're using.  And the HDMI output supports HDMI 2.0, which also can handle about 4x more bandwidth than you're using.

The problem is how Windows handles situations where you are simultaneously using displays that use different scale factors, in your case 100% on the 24" display and 125% on your built-in display.  In that situation, Windows will still only render internally at a single scale factor, which will be the scale factor of what display was primary when you logged into Windows.  For any displays using a different scale factor, Windows will continue rendering at its "primary" scale factor and then apply post-render GPU scaling to upsize or downsize the rendered image appropriately for the other displays.  As you might expect, this does not look as good as rendering natively for each display's scale factor -- but Windows doesn't support that.  (Neither does macOS, at least last time I checked.)

Since you're seeing this "not perfect" resolution on your 24" display, it sounds like you have your built-in display set as your primary display.  So Windows is rendering at 125% and then shrinking that rendered image appropriately to resize it for your 24" display's smaller 100% scale factor.  And that's why it doesn't look very good.

Also note that the key point is the display that was primary when you logged onto Windows.  If the primary display changes because a display gets disconnected/connected or simply because you set a different display as primary, that will NOT change the internal rendering scale factor.  That is set when you log onto Windows, so if you want to change it, you would have to log off and back onto Windows when the primary display changes.  If you're thinking that this would be annoying for people who use docking stations with external displays as primary and also disconnect/reconnect from their desk multiple times per day, you're absolutely right.  They have to choose between either dealing with "not perfect" resolution or logging off and back onto Windows as they come and go from their desk to keep things looking good.  But logging off and back on of course closes all of your applications.

So in terms of what you can do about this, you have a few options:

• Set both displays to the same scale factor.  If you choose 100%, then your built-in display's content will look smaller compared to its current 125% scaling.  If you choose 125%, then your 24" display's content will look larger compared to its current 100% scaling.  But both displays will look their best because they'll be using the same scale factor, and therefore no post-render GPU resizing will be needed.
  • Set your 24" display to be primary.  This will fix the problem on that display, but then your built-in display won't look as good because you will essentially be inverting the problem.  (And again, it will also only work for situations where the 24" display was connected when you log onto Windows.)
  • Stop using these two displays simultaneously.
  • Get a different external display that you can use comfortably at 125%. A 27" display with a resolution of 2560x1440 might work, since that is a higher pixel density than 24" 1920x1080, so you might find that you prefer 125% on that type of display anyway.
  • Get a second 24" 1920x1080 external display so you can have two displays without needing to use your built-in display.  Unless you already have a laptop stand, this would be a better solution from an ergonomic standpoint too, since tilting your head between a desk display and a laptop that's lower on the desk is not ideal.
  • Live with it.

Thanks for the reply.
I use the laptop 90% connected to the dockstation, connected to the 24 '' monitor.
the laptop is closed, I do not use the integrated display of the laptop.
I use the integrated display on the laptop only a few times.

I want to give priority to the 24 '' monitor.
so following your advice, I have to set the laptop and the 24-inch monitor the same, at 1920x1200 with 100% zoom.

so when the video is transmitted on the 24 inch monitor, there is no scaling and therefore the video signal is better?

3 Argentum

@jphughan 

did you think what I wrote above?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor