Start a Conversation

Unsolved

CF

5 Posts

October 1st, 2022 13:00

XPS 17 9720 Zoom Use

Hi -

I use Zoom to get together with musical groups. When people are speaking, I can hear them fine. But when two people at the same location start playing instruments (ukuleles)  and singing, the sound cuts out. I have a question to the instructors to see if they are using 2 microphones.

I never had this problem with my old HP PC, or currently on iPAD so I think it has something to do with the Dell set up. I've done all the trouble shooting tests on speakers and microphones on my PC. Can't figure out what is wrong.

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 1st, 2022 14:00

@Crow Fan wrote:

Hi -

XPS-17 (9520) I use Zoom to get together with musical groups.

1. When people are speaking, I can hear them fine.

2. But when two people at the same location start playing instruments (ukuleles)  and singing, the sound cuts out.

3. I have a question to the instructors to see if they are using 2 microphones.

I never had this problem with my old HP PC, or currently on iPAD so I think it has something to do with the Dell set up.

1. So, this statement leads me to believe things are ok on your side.

2. Hmm. So, how it that different than #1 above? You think more data maybe?

3. Well, I think YOUR XPS has dual mics to record in stereo, but the Recording is just going-on on their end. You are just "playing back" what they record.

4. Well, if the iPad works better, does sound like maybe a network-speed problem? I'm guessing you are limited to using only WiFi on your XPS.

a. Are the iPad and XPS both connected to the same WiFi-5g Access Point?

b. Does SpeedTest.net show the same speed for both the iPad and your new XPS?

5 Posts

October 1st, 2022 14:00

Hi - thanks for your response. They really are not recording, they are singing and playing live. I am not sure how Zoom tech works.

My laptop is hooked up to the ethernet. I tried the speed test and they are the same for the laptop and iPAD. One thing I did have was the wifi on the same time as the laptop was hooked up to the ethernet. I don't know if that would be a problem.

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 1st, 2022 19:00

@Crow Fan wrote:

1.  They really are not recording, they are singing and playing live. I am not sure how Zoom tech works.

2. My laptop is hooked up to the ethernet.

3. I tried the speed test and they are the same for the laptop and iPAD. 

4. One thing I did have was the wifi on the same time as the laptop was hooked up to the ethernet.. I don't know if that would be a problem.

1. Pretty sure it's recording them, and sending to you at the same time.

2. Good. That is usually better Latency and speed than WiFi.

3. Good

4. That should be fine. However, you might want to also try the laptop's WiFi just in case there is something weird wrong with your wired-ethernet connection, drivers, or the CAT-6 cable.

457 Posts

October 1st, 2022 22:00

You might also want to test with WiFi off and Ethernet only to ensure only the Ethernet connection is being used.

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2022 22:00

Thanks, I'll try those suggestions.

457 Posts

October 4th, 2022 00:00

Let us know what results from it.

1 Message

May 23rd, 2023 19:00

Did you ever solve this issue? I had a similar problem using Zoom with apple wired headphones with a mic. The sound kept cutting out when my singing coach played the piano or I sing high notes. 

5 Posts

May 23rd, 2023 19:00

Yes, my Dell came with software called WAVE. Once you adjust the settings in WAVE, then it works! But it seems like it has to be reset every time I turn it on.

No Events found!