Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2020 05:00

XPS 17 Fan Operation with WD19TB Dock and External Monitor

Hi All,

So I set up the WD19TB dock and an external monitor on my XPS 17 9700 and am using it with the laptop closed.  All seems to work just fine.  My question concerns the fan operation. The fan seems to run constantly though at a low volume and it does occasionally speeds up a bit when charging or using multiple programs.  When operating the laptop off the dock the fan always seemed to stop except when needed.  Should I expect the fan to always be operating when connected to dock?  Is there someway to 1) control the fans on this laptop, 2) monitor fan speed, 3) monitor CPU temps?

Thanks for the help,

John

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

July 25th, 2020 08:00

@jemsurvey1  The Thunderbolt 3 chipset actually consumes a fair bit of power and therefore generates a fair bit of heat while it's active, which might explain why the fans run while the WD19TB is connected.  In terms of controlling the fans, you can try experimenting with the Power Mode slider that's exposed if you click the battery icon in the system tray, since lower power modes might keep things running quieter, but you'll obviously be sacrificing performance there (fyi though I would advise against moving the slider all the way to Best Performance even when plugged in, since that setting prevents your CPU from reducing its clock speed even when it has nothing to do, which will definitely keep your fans active).  But apart from that, I don't know of a way to control the fans in this system directly, especially if you're trying to reduce their operation, which might not be safe anyway.  In terms of monitoring, take a look at HWInfo64 and click the Sensors button when it launches.  That might be more info than you're looking for.  If so, there are tons of utilities out there that will show CPU and GPU speeds, temperatures, fan speeds etc. in various ways (system tray icons, floating tiles on your desktop, etc.)

22 Posts

July 25th, 2020 10:00

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

No Events found!