Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

159 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 13:00

XPS 17 L702x shows wrong disk in BIOS?

My XPS 17 L702x is currently running the latest release of Windows 10. I had some problems, resulting in changing the C: drive from an Intel SSD (128GB) to a Samsung SSD (256GB) and doing a clean re-install. Along with formatting the new Samsung SSD during the clean Windows re-install. At this point, the computer is not seeing the whole SSD, (about 110GB missing) but I'm not sure if that's because the disk was used for Linux, or because all the disk parameters are for the Intel SSD. I've looked at the BIOS, and it shows the Intel disk, as does the Windows 10 device manager and the disk manager.

What I've tried so far is using the device manager to "recscan hardware", no help there. I uninstalled the disk (and held my breath *smile*). Tried both a restart and a cold shutdown, both with the disk uninstalled. The BIOS still shows the Intel disk, as does Windows.

Any suggestions as to what I might do about this? If the BIOS doesn't recognize the disk as a Samsung SSD (although it works fine except for the reduced size), there's most likely no hope for the Windows 10 OS running on top of it to recognize the mfr. and model of the disk.

Thanks!

159 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 14:00

The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is whether re-flashing the same BIOS would cause the laptop hardware to be re-scanned?

Don't know, anyone know?

159 Posts

September 2nd, 2018 18:00

Gave it a shot, and the BIOS flash worked and all. And neatly preserved the wrong disk in the BIOS, still showing the old Intel SSD.

I'm very frustrated with this. Is there any answer at all, or am I simply out of luck?

At this point, I'm in that "no more Dell computers for me" place. This was a very expensive computer, and I can't even change hard drives successfully. Looks like you get one disk, and throw the computer out if that one doesn't work or isn't large enough after while?

159 Posts

September 3rd, 2018 16:00

Well, I guess that this laptop's time has come...shopping for a Lenovo or HP laptop as we speak *smile*.

No Events found!