guys - before i buy this, i wanted to know if there are still any unresolved issues with this laptop. Couple of questions
1) Can one get the 4k display in non-touch screen? I don't really see myself using touch screen much as it'll be a business laptop for me
2) any loud fan issues? Many laptops i've had have their fan kick up really loud which disturbs me at night since it's placed right next to my bed
3) any overheating issues when used outdoors in sunlight?
Just a comment on product line. If this is a "business" PC I would be looking at the Latitude (business) line.
Dell forum member since 2002
Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 5577 Laptop
Home Built Desktop PC with Gigabyte Designare Z390, i7 8700K CPU
Windows 10 64 bit Pro SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.6 Pro Recording Studio Software.
Dell S2719DGF Monitor
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.
1. In the US at least no -- 4K is touch. Bear in mind the current XPS 9700 is about to be replaced with the 9710, using 11th generation CPUs, so options on the existing (outgoing) model are likely limited.
2. Shouldn't be an issue; just shut the system down completely overnight.
3. Probably depends entirely on ambient temperatures -- if it's hot outside, it's not inconceivable the system will overheat.
What functions does Latitude have over the XPS? Also which Latitude model would you recommend with highest NITS as I would be using outdoors sometimes. My only needs really are bright display, web browsing, ms office & zoom video calls
The biggest advantage of the Latitude over XPS is the availability of Pro/Gold support -- which is much more in line with business use (with an XPS, you can be waiting days or weeks for warranty repair).
That said, if you really want a 17" system, I don't think you'll find one in the Latitude line. And if you're going to be running high brightness outdoors on a 4K/17" screen, don't expect to be unplugged for long periods of time - a 4K screen will easily drain the battery quickly, particularly a 17" unit.