Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2021 11:00

XPS 7590 Killer Control AX Problems

I recently bought a XPS 7590 that comes installed with the Killer Control Center and AX network adapter.  Noticed out of the box it had a recommendation in its Intelligence Engine to consider buying a new access point that has AX wifi capabilities.  We had a AC router at the time and actually it seemed to be slowing down with age and with everyone working from home it was time for a new router anyways after 5 years.  So I bought an RT-AX86U, one of the better ones out there now.

The Killer Control Center though still gives me a recommendation though to get an AX access point. I checked the properties of the network (connected to the 5G band, and it very clearly says the protocol I am connected to is Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), Network band of 5 GHz, Link speed (Receive/Transmit) of 2402/1729 (Mpbs) and that I am connected using the Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650x 160MHz Wireless Network Adapter (200NGW). (see screenshot below for all of this)

So why is Killer Control Center continuing to make this recommendation?

Also, while I'm here, the other recommendation from Killer CC is to set Bandwidth Limits.  I've done that a dozen times.

Is this Control Center just garbage and I should ignore it? Is there a way to get it to recognize the network is AX and stop giving this recommendation?

Should I somehow disable it or uninstall it?

If so, will I still be able to connect AX speed.

P.S. I don't game, I didn't buy the 7590 for that.  Photoshop and other imaging is what I wanted it for, but also watching 4K videos so max speed would be nice.

Thanks for your help.

jomigo_0-1613245235978.png

6 Posts

February 22nd, 2021 19:00

In PMs it is looking like we are going to close this. 

So before we do I'll just put out there for others reading this what I think resolved this.

The computer is new and I had not changed any default settings of Killer CC. During the process of back and forth with Dell support in PMs, I didn't feel comfortable uninstalling all the supporting drivers and re-installing, but I did choose to change the default setting on the bandwidth limits in Killer CC. 

The instant I changed the bandwidth limits for upload/download (which were 1500 mbs), all the warnings resolved themselves and never reappeared. I just randomly set it to 1200 mbs download and 1000 mbs upload (both at or above my ISP speed of 1000 mbs), and the warning of not recognizing the AX network has never popped up again. I have verified in network properties that it is still connected using AX protocol (which it always has been, Killer CC just wasn't recognizing it). 

6 Posts

February 13th, 2021 11:00

I should add that all Windows, Dell, Driver, etc....updates are up to date.

The router firmware is the latest.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 14th, 2021 09:00

Could you tell us how you set up the Wireless Router as far as bandwidth (160 MHz)?

I have one of those routers in another room being used as a AIMesh unit.

I have not used the KillerWireless control center for a while so can't really help with the one you have.  The one thing I remember about my prior experience was setting the bandwidth would limit the speeds to the entire system.  This may have been for some purpose but looked really bad.

If I find anything else, I will post back.  I may have one of the 1650s I can try out.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 14th, 2021 09:00

OK, I have one already installed.  My version of the Killer Control center may be out of date but what are you setting to the the recommendation about the AP?

I am not seeing those things now so maybe you have something turned on that I don't.

I will check for an update to the Control Center..

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 14th, 2021 10:00

I have mine now updated and no recommendation about needing an AX router..

The only differences I see in the Network Properties are I am using WPA3-Personal Security and have my IPv6 capability working..  If your ISP provides IPv6 you should be able to turn that on in the router..

You are using the 5G network, which is required, the 2.4 GHz network doesn't work.

Let me know if you want to verify some settings..

6 Posts

Hey I really appreciate you diving into this for me.

A Dell tech PM'd me several times last night with possible solutions including uninstalling Killer Control Center and the driver. I've downloaded everything but haven't pulled the trigger.

I did however try changing the default "bandwidth limiter" in Killer and by changing that, I am not getting the errors any more.  I had just been accepting and re-saving the defaults up to this point. I'm going to keep monitoring and will post if it reverts back to the errors. Hoping maybe it was just the default settings that needed a poke.

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi,

I have replied to you via a Private message.

-Gautam.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 15th, 2021 02:00

Hi, Are the extended diagnostics complete? If yes, please share the results, and we’ll be able to suggest the next course of action.

6 Posts

February 15th, 2021 09:00

Not sure what you mean by extended diagnostics.

Router is fine.

Killer CC is not giving giving me the error of not recognizing the AX network any more (I'm still watching).

It does keep giving me the following "set your bandwidths" which is getting old.

The PM I got from the Dell tech wanted me to uninstall Killer CC and its drivers. I'm leery on uninstalling any drivers, especially networking ones without a clear set of instruction from Dell (e.g. uninstall X, then uninstall Y, then reboot, then install Y.exe, then install X.exe, then reboot, etc....)

The back and forth with them was mixed with some confusing language so since I'm not getting the original error, I'm in a state of watching and seeing.

Thanks for the follow-up.  If there is a way to resolve the remaining bandwidth warning by itself, that would be great at this point

jomigo_0-1613410525619.png

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2021 10:00

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private message.

-Gautam.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2021 10:00

Hi,

Let me know if you face any issues while connecting to a wireless network.

-Gautam.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2021 11:00

Hi,

I have just sent you a private message.

-Gautam.

6 Posts

Hi, not seeing a new private message since yesterday.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

Hi, Are the extended diagnostics complete? If yes, please share the results, and we’ll be able to suggest the next course of action.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 15th, 2021 13:00

No Events found!