Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2019 00:00

XPS 7590 with Connected Standby disabled loses Bluetooth / Killer 1650

Hi guys,

since the Windows 10 Connected Standby (even with "Disconnect from the network -> Always") is unusable since after 5 hours of "sleep" it burns enough battery for the computer to enter hibernation ("standby battery budget was exceeded").

The bulletproof solution to this is to disable Connected Standby in the registry, which then puts the computer in a proper hardware sleep: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled = 0

However, upon wake up, the Killer 1650 Bluetooth driver goes defunct, and the task bar Bluetooth icon disappears. (The WiFi keeps working fine.)

This is with the latest WiFi/Bluetooth drivers from Killer's website.

I'm posting here for the Killer guys to be aware of this issue.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

April 6th, 2020 06:00

@sunseekerThe Killer Wireless Rep. has threads which give ways to start a ticket with them.  Have you tried that?

The latest driver release here should fix the issue.

The OP changed the registry, which should not be done.  A Modern Standby system behaves differently that a normal laptop.

I have a 1650 on a non-Modern Standby system and it works fine with no drops.  I use the driver 21.60.0.5 but my system doesn't deal with connected or disconnected standby..  The Intel Bluetooth driver is 21.10.1.1.

Have you gone through different time cycles to see if the behavior changes depending how long the display has been off?  For instance, if it is still in low power mode, you should be able to turn the display back on with a Bluetooth device, namely an active PEN..

When the Hibernation timing has control, the system has to be brought out of hibernation for the desktop to come back.  Is this when the Bluetooth refuses to turn on?  In this situation, how do you bring the system from Hibernation?

My XPS 9365 2-in-1, which is a modern standby system, does not seem to have Bluetooth problems but it has an Intel 8265 Wi-Fi card.  If it wasn't soldered in, I would swap it out and test but that is not possible.  I will look at the system today to see if it is showing any problems with the Bluetooth...

Do you use your Bluetooth for networking or just for Bluetooth devices like mice and headsets?  

Bluetooth devices use wireless frequencies close to the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, could there be some interference locally?

Sleep settings have very little effect on a Modern Standby system, but may be involved with power settings for the Bluetooth.  Have you tried setting extended periods for Sleep options?

1 Message

December 21st, 2019 22:00

+1 haven't found a solution to this yet.  I really hate losing my mouse all of the time, sometimes closing the lid to sleep and opening again, then disable/enable will bring it back.  Just had to do that a minute ago.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2020 06:00

same issue!

31 Posts

January 17th, 2020 01:00

Same issue. Any solutions so far?

1 Message

January 20th, 2020 04:00

same issue, i've fully updated BIOS drivers that dell list, tried the drivers from Killer directly. nothing works.

2 Posts

March 6th, 2020 07:00

Same problem here, after waking up from "energy saving" mode, the bluetooth functionality of the laptop is lost. Restarting solves the problem but is more than annoying!

1 Message

April 3rd, 2020 09:00

I have the exact same issue, I have to reboot every time. reinstalling the driver

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>  does nothing. Only a reboot resolves this.

I am trying the last driver to see if it is any better: <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

3 Posts

April 5th, 2020 23:00

It won't work. I have latest 21.70.0.3 driver, still loses bluetooth after wake up. Only solution is reboot. Or totally disable/block sleep in BIOS.

No Events found!