Start a Conversation

Unsolved

W

26 Posts

October 15th, 2020 11:00

XPS 9300 battery charging issue.

Hey guys, I am facing a strange issue with my XPS 9300. The config is i7 10th gen 1065G7, 16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, UHD+ Touchscreen, etc. The issue is that the laptop charges only till 54% and then stops charging, and battery goes into 'idle' state. If I take it off the charger, the battery discharges a bit faster than expected even on minimal usage. This is after a fresh Win10 Pro install as part of my troubleshooting efforts. It roughly takes 2-2.5 hours for it to go down to less than 5% from 54% (which seems to be set as the peak). Win 10 is fully updated and all drivers, BIOS etc. are also updated. I have installed Dell Power Manager and checked the charging profiles. The first time I opened it, I saw a custom setting which showed the custom peak charge as 55%, which could explain the 54%, but the issue is that it is not changing to any other setting, whether standard charge, or rapid charge to full. It is somehow stuck at that 54% peak. The charger being used is the original 45W that came with it. And the charging from lower percentages to 54% is quite speedy. It just stops at 54%.
Performance is otherwise flawless, no noisy fans or overheating. It is such a beautiful laptop and I can't seem to sort this out, which is such a shame. I'm hoping someone could guide me somehow, on what else I could try.

26 Posts

October 15th, 2020 18:00

I have eventually found the source of this problem. It seems to be the 'Date of Ownership' in the BIOS setting. In older laptops and BIOS's this problem was mentioned and the solution was to enter the date of ownership in the BIOS and the battery would resume charging to normal levels. However in my 9300, the BIOS is a new version and different UI so there is no way to enter or change this field. I have tried reinstalling the latest BIOS firmware from the support website and the issue remains and the date of ownership is still not showing. Maybe now someone may have a solution to this.

26 Posts

October 16th, 2020 03:00

A fix was available for older BIOS's of Dell laptops.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln308571/laptop-battery-does-not-charge-beyond-55-on-certain-dell-pcs?lang=en

Can someone please find a fix for the newer BIOS's, like in the XPS 9300. This problem is really killing me. It is such a great laptop otherwise but the 55% battery is a killer. Since I bought the machine used without any packaging, is it possible it was some store display unit which is meant to be this way (max charge limit), and that would explain the ownership date missing (if it makes sense). 

26 Posts

November 9th, 2020 03:00

I eventually contacted Dell regional tech support by phone and was pleasantly surprised by how the tech guy understood my issue and raised a request to fix this through a part replacement. 

The problem is, it has been around 2 weeks and I haven't had any updates from them. The status on the support website just says the part is delayed, but no update on that.

So my issue has kind of resolved, except that the solution has not arrived to me even after almost 2 weeks of initiating.  

Is this supposed to take this long? I understand that since Dell support is not available in Pakistan as directly as in other countries, so I didn't expect a quick solution, but the part hasn't even shipped yet. Shouldn't have taken this long to ship at least.

4 Posts

November 10th, 2020 07:00

What part should be replaced.?I have the same problem 

26 Posts

November 10th, 2020 18:00

Apparently, it will be none other than the motherboard. I thought it would be an easier fix but they say it is a hardware issue and will be resolved accordingly. 

26 Posts

November 12th, 2020 04:00

Ok, so I have come up against a strange issue with Dell support now. I have mentioned above that initially the Dell support people here told me to call my regional Dell support center (since we do not have a local Dell tech center in our country). I made that international call and they checked on my warranty as it wasn't showing on the support website. Eventually they confirmed the warranty (the status changed to active warranty till Aug-2021), took my address and raised a request against my laptop's service tag, which mentioned that they have ordered a part for replacement (the motherboard). I was pleasantly surprised by the swift action, since I didn't expect much sitting where I was. 

There was then a status update that the part was in backlog and there will be some delays, which was ok considering the replacement issues we are seeing at this forum. I was ok to wait. 

But when 10 days went by and suddenly my warranty status changed to 'information not available' again, I followed up for a few more days and a new tech person asked for details here on the forum messages. I provided them again (service tag, country etc), and they came back with an answer that Dell cannot support my laptop as the warranty is not applicable.

I am very surprised, since a company like Dell can't just go back on their words. Somebody must have checked the warranty status when I first contacted and then verified and approved my case after taking all my info (name, address etc.). If that was done and reflected on the support page, how can they just turn back and say it's not valid anymore. The request for the part replacement is still showing on the support page, and says the delay is due to the part backlog. I don't know when they will change it again. 

This is very odd behavior by a big support team, and raises questions on how warranties and overall support is being handled at Dell. I understand I'm not in a country where Dell has a direct tech team on ground, but then they shouldn't have confirmed the part replacement in the first place. 

I don't know how many people face issues like I have faced here.

December 25th, 2020 03:00

I have the same issue with my 9300, charges to 54%. Where you able to resolve the issue @waqar747 ?

26 Posts

December 27th, 2020 18:00

@Just_Rabeeh Yes, the main issue was solved, but only by replacement of the motherboard. I am afraid there is no software solution to this issue as far as I have found out.

My case has been concluded but through a strange series of activities that I will summarize here for other's benefit. As mentioned above, I had somehow managed to raise the warranty claim to the Dell regional office and my part (motherboard) showed to be on order on the warranty status page on the Dell website. The service request was opened and I had waited for a good 20+ days.

A local Dell agent called me and said the replacement board had arrived and he wanted to come over to fix it. But in his 1st visit the refurbished replacement board didn't work on my laptop (no bootup). He then went back putting the service status at his own end. Came back with another replacement board in 5-7 days time and this time it did work. The battery charged to the full 100% to my joy but... he messed up and blocked my bluetooth on initial motherboard set up of Service Tag. Once that is coded, the BT won't work, unless the board is reset (which is done at Dell I think). He again went back to get another replacement, but thankfully my laptop was now working at full charge. Came back with another refurb board in another 5-7 days and that was faulty too (one fan was firing up at full speed and system was overheating. He told me he go back again to try another replacement. I was surprised at how the Quality Control at the Dell replacement parts was working (2 out of 3 motherboards with serious faults on startup). In between all this he had also somehow misplaced the LED cover for the charging status LED that is in the front of the laptop. It is a small piece of plastic which I have not been able to find anywhere (if anyone has a source, please let me know.)

Then the twist in the story came, Dell came back to me and said my warranty was not valid since I had not shared the purchase receipt and ownership transfer document. I asked them how they were able to send not one or two, but three replacement motherboards to me with the Dell service tech, if my warranty was not valid in the first place. They have been unable to answer.

I have ended up with a almost fully functional laptop, minus BT and the battery LED cover, so I am relatively ok with all of this now. But I also know that there will be no further warranty support for me if something else goes wrong during the warranty period (which once showed on the website to be till Aug 2021).

I may get a replacement with full warranty now to avoid being in a situation like above, but these forums are filled with bad experiences of people who live where there is direct Dell Support and premium warranties and still bad experiences. So I am doubleminded to be honest.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2021 21:00

Hi please my battery also charges to only 54% . Im in lebanon i tried to call several numbers and no one would help pls help me in this

26 Posts

I'm afraid the only fix is a motherboard replacement as I found out the hard way. If you have Dell warranty and support, please get in touch with them and have it attended. I think the Dell online support team on these forums can also line up support for you if you have a valid warranty. Did you buy this brand new, and was the problem from the beginning or developed later?

2 Posts

Thank u for your reply. It is a used laptop. When i contacted them and gave them the service tag the told im outside of us and they gave me other numbers but no one helped. In the bios it shows that no warranty is available. They have the worst service ever. Its weird how they won't help. Im ready to pay but no one is answering

January 7th, 2021 01:00

Looks very similar to the issue I have, sadly going by the other replies here seems not much can be done

4 Posts

June 24th, 2021 22:00

I just download and install BIOS 1.8.1 and the battery charged to 100%.

Thanks, DELL! Great work!

Lah- (XPS 9500)

November 19th, 2021 01:00

Firmware update 1.8.0 for XPS 9300 fixed the issue. I entered the BIOS and updated a setting called "Update Ownership Date on Startup". Now the battery charges to 100%.

26 Posts

November 19th, 2021 04:00

I have same issue - charge max to 91%  and very fast drain on battery use
XPS 17 9700

most likely after most recent BIOS 1.10 update

No Events found!