Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

17 Posts

June 2nd, 2020 07:00

XPS 9300 video issues with Zoom/Skype-type calls

Greetings,

Last month my non-profit purchased 3 XPS 13 9300s: one for me (to replace my 9-year old laptop…), one for my boss, and one for the organization’s President.

The first two have been fine, but the one for the President has been having an issue.  When he uses something video-intensive like Zoom or Skype, frequently the screen dissolves into colorful static and eventually freezes.  One time it even crashed to a blue screen that said it would restart the computer, but then didn’t; he had to leave it on overnight, the battery finally died, and it seemed fine afterwards.

We met up in our office last week, and the diagnostics I ran didn’t find anything. Although I had updated the drivers and BIOS when setting up the laptop, I replaced the video driver anyway.  It seemed fine when I ran a Zoom call between my laptop and his for an hour, but the error was back the next day.

Again, this problem only seems to occur during video calls (at least he doesn’t recall it happening otherwise).  It doesn’t matter if the laptop is hooked up to an external monitor or running on its own.  I have asked him to try a few calls with his camera off to see if that makes a difference, but he hasn’t had an opportunity to do so yet.

Any thoughts?

1 Message

July 8th, 2020 12:00

I'm also experiencing these problems! Did you figure out a solution?

1 Message

July 13th, 2020 13:00

Same issue here! Happens exclusively when I have Zoom open and someone is sharing their screen. It is an atrocious bug that has ruined multiple external calls with clients. The fact that Dell hasn't addressed this yet is ridiculous for a company that prides itself on the XPS line.

1 Message

July 16th, 2020 12:00

My organization purchased 18 of these a few months ago to prepare for working remotely and a considerable amount of our staff and myself have had this issue repeatedly when using Zoom. We updated the graphics drivers with the most recent one that was released and the issue still persists. The screen will change to static, but the Zoom call/meeting will still be occurring as normal with the web cam and mic still recording. We found that closing and reopening the lid fixes it temporarily. Below are also things I noticed when it started happening:

• When the meeting lasts > 30-40 min or if there are consecutive meetings held in a row that exceed that time combined
  • Smallest number of attendees in one meeting that this has occurred has been 8 people in which my screen displayed static.
  • Happens when someone else is sharing their screen on Full Screen

IMG_20200623_095124.jpg

1 Message

July 30th, 2020 08:00

Same issue on my XPS 13, any news on a fix/workaround?

IMG_0273.jpg

August 9th, 2020 06:00

Any update on this front? A way to fix this issue?

• 

25.1K Posts

August 9th, 2020 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us. I truly apologize for the delay in responding to you. Due to the current situation, we’re facing an overwhelming spike in the volume of customers reaching out to us.

I have a couple of questions to understand the issue better. Please share your inputs to proceed further.

1. How long have you been facing the issue?

2. Have you made any recent hardware/software changes to the system?

3. Did you notice any Windows update that took place recently?

Regards, 

Madhushree M 

August 9th, 2020 08:00

Hi @DELL-Cares 

Please see my answers below:

1) I have been experiencing this issue since I received my laptop a few weeks ago. I ordered the laptop brand new from Dell's website.

2) I have spoken with Tech support multiple times to get this resolved but the problem still exists.

3) Updating Windows 10 Pro has not fixed the problem.

At this point I am strongly consider returning and getting a refund as this issue is causing significant issues.

1 Message

August 12th, 2020 10:00

I also had this problem with my new 9300.

A zoom meeting with one other attendee with screen sharing was fine but I had that pixeled screen that froze when a good number of participants (7 or more) were in the meeting. It happened twice and I had to quick change to my old computer. Updating bios and drivers did not fix the problem.

I tried it once without hooking up to my 2nd monitor through the docking station and I was okay.

I did order a new docking station - WD19TB and set it up and have so far had 2 meetings without a problem.

3 Posts

August 13th, 2020 19:00

This started as soon as I installed zoom on this device.

All I've done is update Windows and Drivers via Dell Update.

No other installations have been done. We don't get kicked out of the zoom, so it seems to be a display driver / graphics (Intel) issue.

Please provide any workarounds until a full solution has been made. 

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 05:00

Has there been any more guidance here? I just bought a brand new XPS for business school and it's been having this issue on virtually every single zoom session I've been on. Can't be happening!!!

1 Message

August 16th, 2020 13:00

We are also having this issue with 2 XP’s 13 9300 laptops we just purchased. Is there a resolution?

1 Message

August 21st, 2020 12:00

I am Having also the same issue, is there any solution to this?

1 Message

August 24th, 2020 06:00

It may not be a permanent solution but it is a current workaround that I have done that has not made my device bug out in this same way during zoom calls. I realized that my device would shut off while I was actively watching videos. I figured this must be happening during zoom calls where I am actively talking but not interacting with my device (typing/using trackpad) and my device would go to sleep/hibernate. Even changing the basic power settings in control panel didn't fix it so I changed the advanced settings. 

The solution I am currently using is: 
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings > For Sleep on this page, change the "Sleep after" and "Hibernate after" options to Never for both Plugged in and On Battery (Set it to 0 minutes) > For display, change the "Turn off display after" to Never as well for both Plugged in and On Battery > Apply 

This has currently been working on me for zoom calls ranging from 20 min - Multiple hours, with screen sharing and with 40+ members. Hopefully there is a better more permanent workaround later with a driver update but currently this is working and fingers crossed remains working. Hope it works! Good luck!

August 24th, 2020 08:00

What kind of buggy laptop is this, that you need to turn off sleep and hibernate to make the webcam work? Uhhh yikes, you bought a Dell!

1 Message

August 28th, 2020 15:00

We bought 2 XPS 9300 s last month. 1 with Touch Screen, 1 with Non Touch Screen.  The Touch Screen suffers from this video-issue.  The Non Touch screen does not (no examples to date at least).  

No Events found!