Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 9350 Black Screen at Boot

Hey all,

I've been dealing with a frustrating issue for a while now. At about month 10 into my ownership of a 9350 XPS 13 (with 12 month warranty) I had an issue begin where the screen would not display anything. This began to happen every other month or so and would last about 1-2 days. A mixture of restarts and other random things would finally get it working (although it really feels like coincidence).

A gentleman came out to repair what Dell had diagnosed as a motherboard issue via Dell Tech Support Chat, but he said that it was not a motherboard issue, so nothing was repaired. After 12 months I was no longer under warranty. Ever since then, I've had the same problem once every one or two months. Now, about 2 years into owning the laptop, the symptoms are worsening with white flickering/tearing at boot. I am worried that one day the laptop is just finally going to die and I will be out of luck when this should have been repaired when I still had the warranty.

I would love to know if there is a way I can still save this thing! Other than this issue the laptop has been amazing!

Specs

• XPS 9350

• 13.3 inch, 3200 x 1800 px resolution, Infinity Edge touchscreen

• Intel i7 6560U Processor

• 8GB RAM

• 256GB SSD

What I know:

• Happens once every month or two, lasts from a few hours up to 1-2 days

• Usually happens more often in the winter

• Sometimes Dell logo shows at boot, sometimes it does not

• Both "Hold-G" and "Hold-Fn" at boot work without issue - except that during the Fn test, there is continued tearing/flickering during the test. These tests have generally always worked.

• The LCD backlight is turning on (I have a black screen but can see the light power up behind it)

• Sometimes if I drain the battery all the way down (just leaving the computer on for a while after turning it on even with black screen), and then charge it again, this *sometimes* seemed helped to correct the issue - this seems to be the only thing that gives me some control over fixing it but it does not always work.

• I can tell that it is actually booting to Windows even if I can't see anything. I am still able to login to windows and perform tasks but there i nothing on the screen (I am able to login, shutdown, hear windows error sounds, etc. - I can just tell by how the machine is reacting to commands, button presses, etc. - I just can't see anything. After shutting down, I can see the backlight turn off behind the screen).

Here are videos of the most recent symptoms:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bkvRvEZGRTWV_n8es2nju4btv9AbXnSq (I think I did a hard shutdown while it was booting so it decided to do a disk check, this doesn't usually happen)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bkvRvEZGRTWV_n8es2nju4btv9AbXnSq

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bkvRvEZGRTWV_n8es2nju4btv9AbXnSq (Fn test - it was successful without finding any issues)

Suggestions?? Do you think Dell would still fix this issue since the same thing was happening under warranty and they failed to correct it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Re: XPS 9350 Black Screen at Boot

Did you ever try an external monitor to see if you still had the problem? Try this--Remove the battery and inspect it for swelling or deformities. Leave it out and use just the adapter alone. If you problem goes away, dispose of the battery and use it with the adapter alone.

0 Kudos