Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 13th, 2019 09:00

XPS 9350 and U2419HC USB-C Not Working

Hi

I have a Dell XPS 9350 and recently purchased a U2419HC monitor. This won't connect using USB-C. It will connect using HDMI.

I currently have a S2718D monitor that does connect via USB-C (video and power)

I've updated monitor and graphis drivers but still no sign of life.

Dell replaced the monitor saying it must be faulty. Obviously not.

Any suggestions as what to do next otherwise the second monitor has to go back? Suppose I could get another S2718D instead but I'm not sure there's room on my desk!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 15th, 2019 07:00

There have been multiple threads on this forum with multiple people reporting that the XPS 13 9350 and XPS 15 9550 don’t display video when connected via USB-C to Dell’s USB-C displays — even though the display’s USB-C input works fine with other USB-C sources and the system’s USB-C video output works fine with other displays. Dell eventually posted a KB article acknowledging the issue and hugely disappointingly saying they wouldn’t be fixing it because they considered the XPS 13 9350 end-of-life. Their suggested workaround is to buy a dock. Here’s the link: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln314862/xps-13-9350-no-video-with-dell-type-c-monitors?lang=en

Another option would be to use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, but then of course you only get video. You can get USB by running a USB cable between the display and system, but you still don’t get charging.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 06:00

* For my internal notes, click my name and private message me the service tag numbers for the XPS 13-9350, both U2419HC.

I doubt that both U2419HC were defective. This should work =

XPS 13-9350 TB3/USB Type-C out port --> U2419HC USB Type-C cable (C to C) --> U2419HC USB Type-C in port

You then pressed the Input Source button and checked USB Type-C?

Did you test the S2718D USB Type-C cable (C to C) on both U2419HC?

Did you test both U2419HC USB Type-C cables (C to C) on the S2718D?

Are there any other PC with USB Type-C out port to test on the U2419HC?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 15th, 2019 08:00

jphughan,

Thanks. Made it a sticky.

2 Posts

April 15th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for the reply. A least I can connect to my other monitor and charge via USB-C. I'll have to live with HDMI for the new monitor.

14 Posts

March 25th, 2020 06:00

Ugh!! I just today got a Dell U3219Q monitor to use with my Dell XPS 13 9350 Developer Edition. And they do not work together...

The U3219Q works fine with my Lenovo X1, and my XPS 13 can output video through a USB-C to HDMI dongle. But then I do not get charging and USB hub through the same cable - which was specifically why I bought a U3219Q...

What is the reason that the Dell <-> Dell combo does not work? Is this some HW issue, or will Dell just not do the necessary firmware update to make it work?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2020 07:00

@Tomvest  Dell frustratingly has not shared any information about underlying cause, at least not publicly or to me privately.  It's not in the KB article I linked, and when I specifically asked that question of the Dell Support rep that I raised this issue with and who in turn raised it with the appropriate engineering teams that ultimately led to that KB article, I didn't get an answer.  The only information in the KB is that Dell considered the XPS 13 9350 to be EOL (end-of-life) at the time this issue was discovered.  That phrasing certainly suggests that unwillingness to go through a firmware update development and testing cycle may be the cause, or it might be a "shield" to cover up a hardware issue that can't be resolved.  There's just no way to know for sure, and it seems the people who know aren't talking.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 25th, 2020 07:00

@Tomvest  one additional thing to be aware of since you're discussing a 4K 60 Hz display.  In your case, even if USB-C worked as expected, the USB hub would only operate at USB 2.0 speeds when using USB-C as the data link to the system.  The reason is that in order to run 4K 60 Hz using DisplayPort 1.2/HBR2 (which is the highest level supported by the display and XPS 13 9350), all four high speed lanes in the USB-C link need to be allocated to video, which means there aren't 2 available to run USB 3.x.  All that's left is USB 2.0, which runs over pins within the USB-C connector dedicated to that purpose.  So if you would've wanted to use USB 3.x peripherals plugged into that display at USB 3.x speeds, you'd have needed to connect a separate USB 3.x cable from the display to your laptop anyway.  And then if you want to get video and charging onto the same cable, this dongle might get you there.  Just connect the USB-C cable that came with the display from the display's USB-C port to the dongle in order to draw power.  To be clear, I haven't tested this specific setup -- hence the "might get you there" comment -- but I thought I'd suggest it just in case you might find it appealing to combine at least video and power.  Alternatively, there's this cable if you don't have a DisplayPort cable to use with the dongle.

No Events found!