Highlighted
yairisan
1 Nickel

XPS 9360 SATA (IDE vs AHCI) configuration from factory

Latest BIOS update. My question is: My 9360 XPS is IDE configured (not AHCI). Why would this be? It came directly from Dell. 

It is my understanding that AHCI is the choice these days in terms of SSD performance. Another reason I ask is that, for an 8th gen. i5 device, it takes a while (15 or so seconds) to fire up, and at times just doesn't feel as snappy compared to other laptops. 

Labels (4)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: XPS 9360 SATA (IDE vs AHCI) configuration from factory

When you say "XPS 9360", you're referring to the XPS 13 9360 released in the last 1-2 years, correct?  If so, the options are AHCI and RAID.  IDE is well over a decade old at this point, so you definitely wouldn't have that option on an even remotely modern system.  As for performance though, Dell ships all of their systems configured in RAID mode for reasons mostly having to do with history.  RAID mode allows ordering systems that have a spinning drive and a low-capacity SSD cache module, with the latter accelerating the performance of the former.  That configuration isn't possible on the XPS 13 though.  And second, for systems that use an NVMe SSD, RAID mode allows them to be used even with OSes that don't natively support NVMe, such as Windows 7 -- but the XPS 13 9360 doesn't support Windows 7 for other reasons anyway, which is why I said the reasons mostly have to do with history.  In terms of performance impact, I compared an XPS 13 9360 with a Samsung 960 Evo installed, and AHCI vs RAID didn't make a consistently repeatable difference in benchmarks.  In any case, the main bottleneck with a modern SSD will be the XPS 13 itself, since it runs its NVMe interface in power saving mode, which limits max sequential throughput to around 1.8 GB/s, even though modern NVMe SSDs can exceed 3 GB/s.

When you say it takes 15 seconds to "fire up", what conditions are you starting with, and what do you define as fully fired up?  For example, are you starting with a system that was fully shut down, hibernated, or put to sleep?  And are you stopping the timer when you see the logon screen or after your entire user profile seems to have loaded, including all system tray icons?  Those factors and obviously the software you've got installed on your system (particularly third-party anti-malware solutions) can significantly affect boot time.

0 Kudos
Saltgrass
4 Germanium

Re: XPS 9360 SATA (IDE vs AHCI) configuration from factory

I am wondering what you are seeing that makes you believe the system is using IDE?  Other than the Device Manager which shows an IDE ATA/ATPI controller, under that it should show SATA AHCI.

I don't have a 9360 but my 9365 shows controller options in the Bios of RAID/AHCI/Disabled, which was mentioned.  If you are showing different options, please clarify.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

XPS 2720, Inspiron 17 7779, Inspiron 15 7567, XPS 13 9365, Inspiron 1545, TB16 Dock

0 Kudos