Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 22nd, 2018 16:00

XPS 9360 Won't turn on

I bought a Dell XPS 9360 a month ago. As for today morning, I cannot turn on my laptop for no reasons. I just bought this laptop and already found critical issues twice.

1. Due to random shutdown, a common problem of XPS, I updated BIOS two weeks ago. It seemed no problem for two weeks before I got this issue.

2. I plugged in my laptop during the night, it will not be a cause of my issue of not turning on.

3. When I press the power button, it lit up and the light goes off 1-2 second later. LED for charging status doesn't light up. I tried to charge the computer with two different chargers (USB version and the normal version), but I had no luck.

4. I talked with a Dell technician for 40 minutes trying different things to check my situation. He said I need to change a motherboard, which will take me for 10-12 business days to ship it back and forth. Also, he was so poor at explaining potential solutions, which makes me so frustrated.

I won't recommend purchasing XPS 9360 because it has a LOT of common problems. I should have checked all reviews before purchasing it. 

1 Message

March 20th, 2020 12:00

see this answer https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-13-9360-won-t-turn-on/td-p/7336357, worked for me.  This iFixit guide is extremely helpful for getting into the machine

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Dell+XPS+13+Battery+Replacement/76060

You may want to try just disconnecting the CMOS battery (the little coin cell on the right) since the main battery harness is a pain to get loose.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 18:00

" LED for charging status doesn't light up "

:BigSmile:

You are referring to the LED indicator (light) on the AC adapter ? If yes, before plugging adapter into the system charging's port, the indicator on adapter stay solid blue or green? Does it blink? 

AC Adapter Not Powering on the Computer or Charging the ...

Reset the AC adapter by following these steps:

1. Unplug the AC adapter from the wall outlet for 15 seconds.
  2. Unplug the AC adapter from the PC.
  3. Plug the AC adapter to a known-good wall outlet.
  4. Plug the AC adapter to the PC.
  5. Check the LED indicator on the AC adapter.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 11:00

From your comments, the background keyboard lighting will stay on for a couple of seconds when the system is turned on and is normal.

The white light will not be on if the system is already charged.  It might come on initially but should not stay on.

Before you try the power button, you might try just hitting the space bar in case it is in a power state which might allow it waking up.

Some folks have been having problems with systems not starting up.  There are several things happening right now which might be involved.  Intel is patching all its processors because of a Microcode problem.  This is being done with a Bios update..

Windows 10 released an update which might not play well if you have a third party anti-virus such as McAfee.

On top of those two things, if you have the Toshiba or some other NVMe M.2 drive, there may be a firmware update available.  I have no idea if this is actually related to any current problems.

1 Message

April 21st, 2018 02:00

I just had the exact same problem today when I shut my laptop down last night with no issue.

The laptop cannot power on today, the power button lights up for about 5s before it turns off. The screen doesn't light up, the keyboard doesn't light up but yet the battery indicator on the left of the laptop shows 5 dots (full charge).

This isn't the first issue with my Dell XPS 13 9360 and when I tried calling the support hotline (which claims to be 24/7), I waited for over 30min with no response (told to "hold the line while they transfer me to a technical support expert").

Extremely disappointed. My examinations are coming up in a week and I don't know how this is going to pan out.

1 Message

April 25th, 2018 08:00

Have the exact problem as you, Wye Kit. Also happened this weekend. Coincidence.. ? my pc guy said it is a problem with the motherboard caused by heating.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 26th, 2018 06:00

Thank you for your message. I apologize for the inconvenience caused & will look into this on priority.

Disconnect the power cord, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds. Connect the power cord back in & start the computer, check if the light on the power button is blinking.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Message

July 22nd, 2018 12:00

Hi!

Did you find a solution to this problem?

I have the same exact problem. My xps 13 wont turn on. The power button lids for about 5 seconds and then turns off again. Battery is fully charged. There is no activity at all.

Thanks for your help!

1 Message

July 24th, 2018 15:00

I have had my xps 15 9570 32 GB RAM,  Windows 10 Pro, 2 T hard drive for less than a month now and this happened to me today...just wouldn't turn on!! I followed the procedure you outlined here  and it worked...my computer turned on..hoping there will be some fixes to a lot of the problems people are having...please don't make me regret not buying a Mac for my photography

1 Message

August 14th, 2018 22:00

I bought a Dell XPS 9360 on January 2017 and after one year and two months, March 2018, my laptop won't turn on. So I sent it for repair and replaced the motherboard paying decent amount of service fee. Now after five months, it won't turn on again for no reasons. I am quite disappointed this product.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2018 13:00

This just happened to my XPS 13.  It won't turn on. I bought it In April this year. Got it in May. I have been using it lightly for only 3 months.  

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 24th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to look into this for you.

What is the status of the power button light when you start the computer?

Does the light on the AC adapter stay on when connected to the notebook?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

1 Message

September 10th, 2018 11:00

My husbands xps laptop won’t turn on either.  He is extremely frustrated and disappointed with this product. It is used very lightly. He is doing some consulting work and now can’t even use his computer. 

October 24th, 2018 14:00

Really disappointed with my XPS! I had an important presentation to give today and the computer would not turn on at all, for no reason! I searched for possible solutions and found out it seems to be a quite common issue with XPS. A few months after buying it I had problems with the WiFi connection and now it simply died for no reason. Very disappointed with it and really regret not having bought a Mac instead.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

October 24th, 2018 15:00

With the Mac, you'd be disappointed with a faulty keyboard (which fails just out of warranty and costs $700 to replace) - or a faulty power circuit that prevents the system from powering up (which costs about $1,100 to repair).

Every model has some issues.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2018 01:00

If anyone is still having trouble I have had to fix this twice now on my wife's 9360.
I had to do an RTC reset, the hard way. The 9360 is supposed to be able to RTC reset on the power button, but I couldn't get it to work. see how-to-reset-real-time-clock-rtc-to-recover-your-dell-portable-system

To do an RTC reset the hard way, you need to remove the bottom cover (don't forget the hidden screw below the flap) and unplug the RTC battery removing-the-coin-cell-battery (AKA CMOS battery, AKA coin battery) and unplug the main battery. Wait a minute then plug them in again.

The LEDs will flash a bunch of times and when you go to power on it will likely turn on and off about 5 times before booting up properly.

It will complain about the clock being unset, just hit BIOS settings and set the time.

Why this is happening, I don't know. I have swapped my wife's RTC battery with my own (we have the same machines) so I will see if it is just a dud battery (somewhat likely). My wife was on BIOS version 2.7.1, which had a fix for "stability while booting with low RTC battery", possibly related.

She is now on 2.9.0

There are a bunch of good guides for doing this

No Events found!