Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2018 07:00

XPS 9360 and Samsung PM961 SSD

Good evening Community,

I just got my ssd replaced by the seller for my xps 13. The laptop came with i5-8250U CPU, and 128GB stock ssd. The new ssd is an OEM type Samsung PM961 NVMe M.2 PCIe 256GB (MZVLW256HEHP). The advertised sequential read speed is 2800 MBps, but I can only get it around 1800 MBps.

What I have done:

Update BIOS to latest version (2.4.2).

Install/Uninstall Samsung NVMe Controller driver (v2.3.0.1709). It makes no difference compared with default windows standard NVMe controller driver.

Turn off write-cache buffer flushing in device manager

SATA Operation in BIOS settings are set at AHCI mode

Check the hardware with hwinfo. It appears the system can operate with this ssd at its full speed.

Can someone please tell me what I missed? Or should I replace another one?

The drive is already very fast, boot time is around 15 secs. But some users have posted their bechmarking result with 3+ GB/s seq read, and claimed that boot time is about 3secs. That sounds crazy and I cannot stand not having that considering I am using the same system as theirs.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 6th, 2018 10:00

The PCIe lanes wired to the Thunderbolt output have nothing to do with the PCIe lanes wired to the M.2 connector to support NVMe SSDs.  Also note that there are in fact 4 lanes wired to the M.2 connector (although only 2 to the Thunderbolt connector on that system), but those lanes are just running in a lower speed mode.  I believe the 2 lanes running to the Thunderbolt connector are full speed, but I'm not certain about that.

In any case, unless you can find hacked firmware that enables GT4 mode for the PCIe lanes feeding the M.2 connector (and you're ok running hacked firmware), there's nothing you can do about it on that system.  Sorry!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 6th, 2018 07:00

Are you running McAfee?  If so, you might try shutting it down while testing.

Most of the Samsung drives have been getting a firmware upgrade.  I did see one thread which suggested not yet doing that upgrade, but you might check to see if there is one.

There is a fairly long thread/sticky which discussed these things.  It may still be in the General section of the forum.  Maybe a search for NVMe would show it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 6th, 2018 08:00

As an additional note, you really shouldn't tinker with the write cache buffer flushing setting.  I would strongly recommend changing that back, especially since that isn't going to be your bottleneck on this particular system.  That significantly increases your risk of data corruption.  I realize that laptops have batteries and are therefore less likely to suffer power failures, but an unexpected hard shutdown due to a thermal issue or something could still trigger it.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

February 6th, 2018 08:00

The XPS 13 models at least up to the 9360 runs the 4 PCIe lanes feeding its NVMe slot in power-saving GT2 mode, not max performance GT4 mode.  This is roughly equivalent to running only 2 PCIe lanes in max performance mode.  This has come up a few times in other threads already, and nobody from Dell has explained why it's done this way, but there's no setting to change; that's just how the system is.  The XPS 15 runs in GT4 mode, and judging by early storage benchmarks, the XPS 13 9370 also appears to run in GT4 mode, but obviously that doesn't change anything for the 9360.

February 6th, 2018 09:00

@jphughan @Saltgrass thanks for your answers

Regarding write-cache buffer flushing, since it does no good I already reversed the change. 

About the 9360 2 lanes / 4 lanes PCIe, I thought it only apply to the usb-c port. And since the "Current Link speed" in hwinfo result shows the maximum speed, I thought it can utilize the drive at full speed. Nevertheless, I will make further study on the GT2 / GT4 mode and if there's nothing can be done about it, I will accept the reality and say goodbye to the 3secs boot time.

Thank you for your info.

February 6th, 2018 22:00

After reading some other threads, I can see that I am not the only one with this issue. Althought I haven't found any proof that indicates Dell actually configured CPU bus speed to 2GT/s OPI, I will trust other comments and accept the situation. (But still, a confirmation from a Dell engineer would ease my mind even better)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 7th, 2018 10:00

I have always been a little confused by the comments in the Quote from the Samsung driver install instructions.  It shows the Dell system is a PCH M.2 drive which is different from having direct PCIe lanes.

Even though I may not understand the situation, I could swear my 9365 was, at one time, getting the advertised speeds for my Samsung 960 Pro M.2 drive.  I will continue to try to find that picture but now I am only getting the 1800 number using the Magician benchmarking.  It is possible, some Bios upgrade has changed the original configuration I had back in February.  There has been a Samsung Firmware upgrade but not sure why Samsung would dumb down their drive performance.

System Configuration

Windows Operating System shall successfully load the driver only when Samsung NVMe SSD 960 PRO, 960 EVO or 950 PRO is installed to

PCIe slot directly connected to CPU or

M.2 or PCIe slot connected to PCH.

However, in the PCH case, Windows Operating System cannot load the driver under following BIOS configurations where

PCH Storage Configuration is set to "Raid Mode, or

NAND/Storage Remapping option*" is enabled.

* The option name can be different according to M/B manufacturers.

Please refer to your M/B manual.

1 Message

March 21st, 2019 01:00

Hi,
I have the same problem on my xps 9360 with Samsung 970Evo, no more than 1800 GB/s instead 3000 GB/s. Have someone find a solution how to increase ssd speed to specified 3000 GB/s?

1.jpg

May 4th, 2019 13:00

Exactly the same here as well.
No Events found!