austinramsay
1 Nickel

XPS 9370 Display and keyboard automatic brightness (and timeout)

Just received my XPS 9370 the other day transitioning from a macbook. Having difficulty figuring out how to prevent the keyboard LED's from automatically turn off after a few seconds of not typing.. I'd like them to constantly stay on unless I dim or turn them off with the keyboard button. Also, the display brightness seems to automatically change when I don't want it to. Not really sure exactly when it happens but I can see it change even though I have it at 100%. Any suggestions are appreciated..thanks!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Brummbazz
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 9370 Display and keyboard automatic brightness (and timeout)

Hey, mine arrived yesterday too. I have the FHD version. There you can turn of the adaptive backlight in BIOS settings. Not sure how exactly its called.
No idea about the Key backlight.
0 Kudos
LJC1
1 Nickel

I believe Dell call it DBC - Dynamic Brightness Control , also know as CABC (Content Aware Brightness Control).

Dell issued a firmware update to enable it to be turned off for the previous 9360 but until recently only for the QHD screen, not the FHD one. There does now seem to be an update for the FHD screen too.

One would hope that the new 9370 has the firmware update already installed ??

0 Kudos
Brummbazz
1 Nickel

Im not sure if it was possible out of the box. I installed the available bios update at first boot without exploring the out of box bios. So in the most recent Bios you can turn off DBC for the FHD.
0 Kudos
austinramsay
1 Nickel

Found the setting in the bios and got that fixed! Thanks guys! Yeah now I'm just left with finding out how to fix the keyboard led's...that's the only thing really bothering me lol. Everything else about this thing is perfect though! I love it

0 Kudos
KeithWeef
1 Copper

The keyboard timeout is driving me crazy as well! Will turn off pretty much after 3 seconds...it's a little too much. Would love to know how to fix that! 

0 Kudos
Matt-UK
1 Nickel

With you on this one, the 3 seconds is 2 seconds too short as a default, would be nice to be able to set it, but i guess this feeds into the battery life claims

0 Kudos
LJC1
1 Nickel

I just got a replacement XPS13 9370 (original had problem with power button, screen fitting etc) and trying to work out how to extend keyboard backlight time as it is barely 3 secs.

Annoyingly I'd managed to extend it to around 10 secs on my original 9370 but cannot remember how I did it - as both machines have the latest BIOS, I'm wondering if it was a setting on the previous BIOS which is no longer there??

If i do figure it out I'll let you know Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
JonesDrengen
1 Copper

Go to control panel -> hardware -> Dell Keyboard Backlight settings :-)

0 Kudos
slamoureux
1 Copper

I removed all of the pre-installed Dell software so I don't have this option anymore. Do you know which app I would have to install to get this again?

0 Kudos