Highlighted
Gray1234
Copper

XPS 9370 Fan Noise repair/refund/replacement?

Hi,

I received my 9370 only yesterday but as like a lot of other 9370 users its seems, the fan noise is very 'rough'. It sounds like the fan is scraping or grinding on something when it spins up like someone has put gravel in it!

I phoned dell support who did a BIOS update from 16/5/18 as they said that should fix it, they also wanted to put the fan into quiet mode. I refused this as it states it could affect performance and why would I want to get around a faulty sounding fan by slowing my laptop down.

After multiple tests and updates the fan noise was still the same, not really that surprising! 
So as I wasn't that happy I asked about repair/replacements, the guy said that there is nothing wrong with the laptop and all 9370 will sound exactly the same ?! Which I find hard to believe!

As its not a fault they would only give me a refund for the laptop and not a replacement or repair. Either this or wait for future BIOS updates at an unknown date in the future which 'could' sort the problem... I struggle to see how software can help a hardware issue without it affecting performance some how.

I would be happy to take a refund and then re buy another, yet I bought it with a discount code which is no longer valid, so to re buy I would have to spend a considerable amount more to get the same laptop I was sending back, as why I would rather a repair/ replacement.

Where do others think I stand in regards to this? will all 9370 sound the same or does it sound like a hardware issue and that a replacement/repair is most logical?

Cheers

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
Platinum

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise repair/refund/replacement?

It sounds like you'll never be happy with the system -- take the refund and buy a system with which you'll be happier.

0 Kudos

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise repair/refund/replacement?

@Gray1234wrote:

Hi,

I received my 9370 only yesterday but as like a lot of other 9370 users its seems, the fan noise is very 'rough'. It sounds like the fan is scraping or grinding on something when it spins up like someone has put gravel in it!

I phoned dell support who did a BIOS update from 16/5/18 as they said that should fix it, they also wanted to put the fan into quiet mode. I refused this as it states it could affect performance and why would I want to get around a faulty sounding fan by slowing my laptop down.

After multiple tests and updates the fan noise was still the same, not really that surprising! 
So as I wasn't that happy I asked about repair/replacements, the guy said that there is nothing wrong with the laptop and all 9370 will sound exactly the same ?! Which I find hard to believe!

As its not a fault they would only give me a refund for the laptop and not a replacement or repair. Either this or wait for future BIOS updates at an unknown date in the future which 'could' sort the problem... I struggle to see how software can help a hardware issue without it affecting performance some how.

I would be happy to take a refund and then re buy another, yet I bought it with a discount code which is no longer valid, so to re buy I would have to spend a considerable amount more to get the same laptop I was sending back, as why I would rather a repair/ replacement.

Where do others think I stand in regards to this? will all 9370 sound the same or does it sound like a hardware issue and that a replacement/repair is most logical?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are encountering with your XPS 13. Can you private message me your service tag and any sort of case reference numbers please so I can investigate this further. Just click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page and send it to DELL-AlanD

To further clarify the fan issues on the XPS 9370, there are two distinct issues with the fan. The first is fan speed, i.e the fan is constantly spining and audibly louder than normal. The BIOS revision 1.3.2 has been released to improve fan performance.

The other issue, which you have mentioned, is the fan making a mechanical grinding or growling noise. You are correct in stating that this is a hardware failure and a BIOS update will not resolve the issue. A replacement fan is required to resolve this issue.

I'll await your private message and then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos