Highlighted
Gray1234
Copper

XPS 9370 Fan Noise repair/refund/replacement?

Hi,

I received my 9370 only yesterday but as like a lot of other 9370 users its seems, the fan noise is very 'rough'. It sounds like the fan is scraping or grinding on something when it spins up like someone has put gravel in it!

I phoned dell support who did a BIOS update from 16/5/18 as they said that should fix it, they also wanted to put the fan into quiet mode. I refused this as it states it could affect performance and why would I want to get around a faulty sounding fan by slowing my laptop down.

After multiple tests and updates the fan noise was still the same, not really that surprising! 
So as I wasn't that happy I asked about repair/replacements, the guy said that there is nothing wrong with the laptop and all 9370 will sound exactly the same ?! Which I find hard to believe!

As its not a fault they would only give me a refund for the laptop and not a replacement or repair. Either this or wait for future BIOS updates at an unknown date in the future which 'could' sort the problem... I struggle to see how software can help a hardware issue without it affecting performance some how.

I would be happy to take a refund and then re buy another, yet I bought it with a discount code which is no longer valid, so to re buy I would have to spend a considerable amount more to get the same laptop I was sending back, as why I would rather a repair/ replacement.

Where do others think I stand in regards to this? will all 9370 sound the same or does it sound like a hardware issue and that a replacement/repair is most logical?

Cheers

Labels (1)
14 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise repair/refund/replacement?

It sounds like you'll never be happy with the system -- take the refund and buy a system with which you'll be happier.

0 Kudos

@Gray1234wrote:

Hi,

I received my 9370 only yesterday but as like a lot of other 9370 users its seems, the fan noise is very 'rough'. It sounds like the fan is scraping or grinding on something when it spins up like someone has put gravel in it!

I phoned dell support who did a BIOS update from 16/5/18 as they said that should fix it, they also wanted to put the fan into quiet mode. I refused this as it states it could affect performance and why would I want to get around a faulty sounding fan by slowing my laptop down.

After multiple tests and updates the fan noise was still the same, not really that surprising! 
So as I wasn't that happy I asked about repair/replacements, the guy said that there is nothing wrong with the laptop and all 9370 will sound exactly the same ?! Which I find hard to believe!

As its not a fault they would only give me a refund for the laptop and not a replacement or repair. Either this or wait for future BIOS updates at an unknown date in the future which 'could' sort the problem... I struggle to see how software can help a hardware issue without it affecting performance some how.

I would be happy to take a refund and then re buy another, yet I bought it with a discount code which is no longer valid, so to re buy I would have to spend a considerable amount more to get the same laptop I was sending back, as why I would rather a repair/ replacement.

Where do others think I stand in regards to this? will all 9370 sound the same or does it sound like a hardware issue and that a replacement/repair is most logical?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are encountering with your XPS 13. Can you private message me your service tag and any sort of case reference numbers please so I can investigate this further. Just click on the envelope icon at the top right of the page and send it to DELL-AlanD

To further clarify the fan issues on the XPS 9370, there are two distinct issues with the fan. The first is fan speed, i.e the fan is constantly spining and audibly louder than normal. The BIOS revision 1.3.2 has been released to improve fan performance.

The other issue, which you have mentioned, is the fan making a mechanical grinding or growling noise. You are correct in stating that this is a hardware failure and a BIOS update will not resolve the issue. A replacement fan is required to resolve this issue.

I'll await your private message and then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
ponoare
Copper

My brand new XPS 9370 has same grinding noise from the fan, very load.

This is my 3rd XPS 13 (purchase the latest model  every year) and fist time when I have this grinding noise.

It must be a hardware issue (fan touching when rotating, or a bad bearing surface).

It only happens once in a while and the new Bios update did not fix it.

Since I just got it today, I will try to return it sometimes this week...very frustrating since I already wasted couple of hours to load it up with software, data, apps, etc....

0 Kudos

@ponoare wrote:

My brand new XPS 9370 has same grinding noise from the fan, very load.

This is my 3rd XPS 13 (purchase the latest model  every year) and fist time when I have this grinding noise.

It must be a hardware issue (fan touching when rotating, or a bad bearing surface).

It only happens once in a while and the new Bios update did not fix it.

Since I just got it today, I will try to return it sometimes this week...very frustrating since I already wasted couple of hours to load it up with software, data, apps, etc....

Hi @ponoare

Thanks for getting in touch about your fan issue. If the fan is grinding like you suggest then the fan needs replaced for a mechanical failure. I'll drop you a private message and let you know how to proceed.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Same exact issue in a brand new (refurbished) 9370 - just opened it up from the packaging, and it's immediately apparent that one of the fan bearings is bad - something that I confirmed on taking off the back cover and checking it out. I'm a mechanical engineer working electronics, so I'm well aware of all the design and reliability testing aspect of cooling systems, and this has me pretty dissapointed. Does Dell have any additional info on these failures, and are there plans to correct this clearly all too common issue with a design or manufacturing change? Even if I get a perfect replacement unit, this has me pretty concerned about this same bearing/motor failure happening a year down the road after the warranty's up.

As an aside, the online 'support request details' page is absolutely useless when it comes to tracking what Dell's system is showing for the exchange I'm doing - the entire 'Activity' section consists of nothing but "We cannot find historical data related to your request at this time" entries, and there's absolutely no status, tracking, confirmation of shipping addresses, or anything like that in the "Dispatches" section. Could anybody with Dell customer service give me some more info? I understand that some of the system statuses need to stay internal to Dell, but the complete obscurity of the system on my customer-facing side of things is pretty disappointing.

0 Kudos

@connorbenton wrote:

Same exact issue in a brand new (refurbished) 9370 - just opened it up from the packaging, and it's immediately apparent that one of the fan bearings is bad - something that I confirmed on taking off the back cover and checking it out. I'm a mechanical engineer working electronics, so I'm well aware of all the design and reliability testing aspect of cooling systems, and this has me pretty dissapointed. Does Dell have any additional info on these failures, and are there plans to correct this clearly all too common issue with a design or manufacturing change? Even if I get a perfect replacement unit, this has me pretty concerned about this same bearing/motor failure happening a year down the road after the warranty's up.

As an aside, the online 'support request details' page is absolutely useless when it comes to tracking what Dell's system is showing for the exchange I'm doing - the entire 'Activity' section consists of nothing but "We cannot find historical data related to your request at this time" entries, and there's absolutely no status, tracking, confirmation of shipping addresses, or anything like that in the "Dispatches" section. Could anybody with Dell customer service give me some more info? I understand that some of the system statuses need to stay internal to Dell, but the complete obscurity of the system on my customer-facing side of things is pretty disappointing.

Hi @connorbenton

Thanks for reaching out with your concerns, I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment with the service. The mechanical bearing failure appears to be batch related rather than design. Any system that has had the fan replaced during a service call has not had the fault return. 

System exchanges are different from service calls and as you correctly thought, an internal only process however there should be a link to a tracking portal. Once it reaches a certain point in the build process you should then be able to see the status updates and a delivery ETA. Depending on the stage of the process that it's at there may be no visible info at this stage. If you require status updates on your exchange, you should have contact details for the agent that booked it for you and they should be able to provide updates or the link to the carriers page where you can obtain the ETA.

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos

Thanks Alan - if it is truly a batch issue with the system fans, then it's incredibly poor work for Dell to fail to swap out for new fans while the system was with Dell for refurbishment. Unfortunately, even though an exchange system had a dispatch created and a shipment made on the same day (Monday 6/18), the replacement system was also broken, with a bad system board/CPU. Now, my new service request for yet another exchange has been bounced around for five business days and the dispatches even accidentally cancelled, with even the highest 'escalation' managers being unable to push through the approvals for a system to be shipped out to me. This is completely unprofessional, is there nobody that is properly escalated enough to get actual approvals?

0 Kudos

Hi @connorbenton, apologies for the delay in responding to this, I have been on annual leave. If you still require help with this system can you send me a private message to @Dell-Alan D with any case reference numbers you have so I can look into this further and see if there is anything I can do to help.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Daryl256
Copper

Hi,

I have recently purchase a Dell xps 9370 and i believe that the fan has a bad bearing as when it spins there is a rattling noise. May I know what are my options?

Regards

Daryl

0 Kudos