Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

2 Posts

March 9th, 2018 06:00

I bought my xps 13 i7 8th gen about 2 months ago and it has had so many problems!!!

The fan noise is unbelievable, i cant put it on sleep or hibernate because it wont turn on when i open the lid(have to restart it manually), the wifi has had problems and couble of other things....

How is this possible??? 

2 Posts

March 9th, 2018 11:00

No improvements after installing BIOS 1.2.1, still huge fan noise while power adapter is plugged, nothing changed. I am very upset about this issue in the product of this price and commited "quality" ... please fix ASAP. 

Thanks

2 Posts

March 9th, 2018 11:00

No improvements after installing BIOS 1.2.1, still huge fan noise while power adapter is plugged, nothing changed. I am very upset about this issue in the product of this price and commited "quality" ... please fix ASAP. 

Thanks

9 Posts

March 10th, 2018 08:00

@ivafstuwrote:
i cant put it on sleep or hibernate because it wont turn on when i open the lid(have to restart it manually), the wifi has had problems and couble of other things....

The wakeup after sleep problem - is that on Windows or Ubuntu/Linux?

If the latter - I had the same problem but got it fixed by switching from ath10k blacklist option to something with "killer" under "Software & Updates" -> "Additional Drivers" (from memory -the driver now isn't listed anymore since I switched options).

That fixed it - can now go to sleep and it properly wakes up afterwards.

Have so far not found any downsides - which makes me wonder why the other option was pre-selected.

If you have the same problem on Windows - weird. Perhaps try to find new driver for your wifi chipset?

4 Posts

March 12th, 2018 08:00

New BIOS completely fixed the fan noise issue on Linux. The laptop is now completely silent whether it is plugged in or not.

On Windows, I noticed a slight improvement in the fan speed but the issue didn't seem to completely disappear.

How hard can it be to issue a Windows patch that follows Linux's thermal settings?

2 Posts

March 13th, 2018 02:00

With the new Bios update same fan noise here, connected to thunderbolt dock to a 4k monitor and doing normal procedures the fan noise is irritating...

1 Message

March 14th, 2018 05:00

the fan noise really is a problem. bios 1.2.1 changed nothing.

Windows 10.

1 Message

March 15th, 2018 12:00

Fan noise is really annoying, doing literally nothing siting on desktop while charging and fans throttle from nothing to maximum.

Windows 10 pro, all updates from Dell and Windows done.

Bios 1.2.1 changed nothing as far as I can tell.

4k, i7 version, if that changes anything.

5 Posts

March 15th, 2018 13:00

I had the top of the line XPS for about 2 weeks and had to return it due to the fan noise. Very fast and smooth laptop though. Got the latest Macbook pro with similar specs and found it to be slower than the XPS, but whisper quiet. Surprisingly had more trouble with the peripherals and other minor glitches with the Mac, didn't expect it. I'm in the process of returning the Mac, would like to go back to the XPS but will probably wait until the fan situation is stabilized. In the meantime planning to go back to my 6 year old Sony Vaio Z, which still runs almost as fast as the overpriced Mac.

1 Message

March 16th, 2018 15:00

I have the same problem

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)

XPS 13 9370

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

1 Message

March 19th, 2018 01:00

I just received my new xps 13! Same issue! The fan will become so noisy when watching even a 15 secs YouTube video. I updated to the latest BIOS, but still didn't fix this problem. Will return it if Dell can not figure out by the end of this month...... It is really annoying and disappointed!!

March 19th, 2018 02:00

I received mine one week ago. I've updated bios. When the workload exceed the 25-30% cpu, the fan start working at full speed. But the most annoyng thing happen when I close the lid. The laptop is supposed to enter sleep mode but it remains active and fans works at full speed. This is awkward!

All this behavior happens only when plugged to the ac adapter.

I've (temporarly) solved all my issues switching to quiet mode in the energy plan. It seems work properly now.

In any case I'm waiting for a proper fix from dell!

81 Posts

March 19th, 2018 06:00

@giovanni.zuolowrote:

But the most annoyng thing happen when I close the lid. The laptop is supposed to enter sleep mode but it remains active and fans works at full speed. This is awkward!

1) Check your Power options, to see whether you have proper action set when lid is closed. Here is some video that shows how to do it:
https://youtu.be/gUupkDW_UPg?t=9m42s

2) Problem might occur if you have bluetooth devices attached - device is waking up on mouse move when lid is closed:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-9370-missing-quot-power-management-tab-quot-to-disable-wake/m-p/5828323

March 19th, 2018 08:00

Thank you for your answer... but I'm not a noob :)

1) I've already checked my power options in order to be sure that when the lid being closed the system willl goes in sleep mode.

2) No bluetooth devices are attached to my laptop.

5 Posts

March 20th, 2018 17:00

XPS 9370 now $ 300 off with coupon ... tempting.

Anybody used a cooling pad or think that might help ?

No Events found!