Dell-Alan D

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

@mckim1003wrote:

Hey Dell- Alan,

Yes, I also downloaded the BIOS 1.3.2 but the fan noise seems louder than before.  It seems like some redownloaded the BIOS 1.2 instead so should I re-install that back?  Please let me know.  

Hope Dell can really resolve this fan noise issue...

Best Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

As per my response to the other posts in the thread can you elaborate on how the BIOS update has made the issue worse? Has the fan got louder when the system is at idle or do you hear it more when under load? What profile are you noticing this issue on? Does it make any difference whether your are running on ac power or battery?

Is the system giving any mechanical noises i.e growling or grinding?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
thesuit
1 Copper

@Dell-Alan D - Did you delete my post about Firefox causing my system fans to often be on full blast when using any other browser does not cause this?

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@thesuitwrote:

@Dell-Alan D - Did you delete my post about Firefox causing my system fans to often be on full blast when using any other browser does not cause this?

Hi @thesuit, I didn't see your post at all. When I received the notification and clicked on the link it was already removed. It's possible that a mod reviewed it and moved it to another board. Going on the statement you have provided, it sounds like a Firefox specific issue if other browsers are not causing issue.

Edit - I've had the post reviewed and it's now showing, I shall respond to it shortly.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
jakino
1 Copper

Just thought I'd share my experience getting my fan noise repair done. Received my 9370 refurb on May 2nd, heard the fan noise issue right away. Tried the BIOS upgrade, nothing. Then the charger cable broke and I couldn't charge my computer anymore, luckily my wife has a dell from work so I borrowed he cable to charge. So I called support, went through roughly 2 hours of support only for them to tell me to send it in for repairs. Returned the computer, and received confirmation. Days later I get an email saying the parts aren't available I have to wait around 5 days for the parts to come in. At this point I don't want to deal with waiting. Since these laptop have a 30 day return policy I called to tell them to keep the computer and send me a refund. An hour and 38 minutes, 5 support workers and 2-3 departments later, they come to the conclusion that they need to ship me back my computer and then I have to ship it back to them with a label number. They couldn't simply send it back to themselves? I asked if will be receiving the computer in time so that I can request this return label number before my thirty days are up for returning the laptop with a refund. They didn't know, they simply said to let us know when it comes in as quick as I could so they can process. I won't be recommending these products to anyone anytime soon.

dellWaitngTime.jpg

0 Kudos
irev211
2 Bronze

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

Hi all, 

The new BIOS revision 1.3.2 has been released with the following fixes amongst others

- Adjust fan speed
- Skips keys when typing fast

The update can be downloaded from here

Can you try the update and let me know how the fans on the system are after the update. Thanks

Alan

Alan - I don't know what's going on but the newer BIOS's reduce CPU speed by 65%, what's up with that?  The XPS 13 9370 used to have a 25W max TDP on the CPU, allowing sustained ~2.8ghz on all cores.  Now, after a few BIOS updates, speeds are now limited to 15W which translates to about 1.7GHz.

I don't know what Dell is doing but you can't send XPS 13 9370's to reviewers and talk about the superior performance and then release a BIOS update that cuts CPU speed by 65% - that's straight up fraud.

Second, the fan issues are absolutely obnoxious - I think MANY people here are upset because they have their fans grinding and are defective (I had one unit that had a defective fan, dell support was worthless and told me to turn it on "quiet" mode which obviously didn't fix the grinding noise and throttled the CPU down to ~1.1GHz, so I ended up returning it).

Lots of issues with how Dell is treating their customers.

Tobias0815
2 Bronze

I observe the same issue. Working on battery is quite ok after disabling the Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service.

Anyhow, if the device is connected to the AC adapter, it also speeds up the fans dramatically and periodically. Sometimes, the device is silent and then from one moment to another, the fans kick in, even if I do nothing on that machine.

Is there any chance that an official Dell representative investigates on this issue and finally drives to work on a solution?

@DELL-Alasdair R can you please review this thread and connect it to the right person on Dell side? 

0 Kudos
thesuit
1 Copper

I am/was having the same problem with both Ubuntu and Windows 10 across 3 different versions of BIOS on my 9370. Previously on version 1.2.0, it seemed to be exacerbated by having the power cable plugged in, but that doesn't seem to matter since 1.2.1 and 1.3.2.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I realized that Firefox has serious performance problems when using hardware acceleration with our laptops; specifically, with playing videos and music. HTML5 videos in HD were constantly having playback problems and didn't register mouse clicks for sometimes 5 seconds. I was also getting notifications from Windows 10 that graphics acceleration had been disabled for Firefox randomly, and I had to restart Firefox to get it back. Meanwhile, my laptop fans are screaming like I'm trying to play a high-performance video game in 4K with Ultra-High settings.

Disabling hardware acceleration resolved the HTML5 problems and reduced memory consumption, but increased CPU usage by 3x and the fans were still loud. I'm willing to guess this is Firefox not playing nicely with Intel integrated graphics.

Using Brave, Chrome, or Opera results in less resource usage and much faster performance.

The fan noise is still louder than it should be, but the severity has been reduced by not using Firefox for the last few days.

Hope this helps someone while Dell continues to try and sort this out. Nothing worse than a super noisy laptop when it was designed to be ultra portable and lightweight.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@thesuitwrote:

I am/was having the same problem with both Ubuntu and Windows 10 across 3 different versions of BIOS on my 9370. Previously on version 1.2.0, it seemed to be exacerbated by having the power cable plugged in, but that doesn't seem to matter since 1.2.1 and 1.3.2.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I realized that Firefox has serious performance problems when using hardware acceleration with our laptops; specifically, with playing videos and music. HTML5 videos in HD were constantly having playback problems and didn't register mouse clicks for sometimes 5 seconds. I was also getting notifications from Windows 10 that graphics acceleration had been disabled for Firefox randomly, and I had to restart Firefox to get it back. Meanwhile, my laptop fans are screaming like I'm trying to play a high-performance video game in 4K with Ultra-High settings.

Disabling hardware acceleration resolved the HTML5 problems and reduced memory consumption, but increased CPU usage by 3x and the fans were still loud. I'm willing to guess this is Firefox not playing nicely with Intel integrated graphics.

Using Brave, Chrome, or Opera results in less resource usage and much faster performance.

The fan noise is still louder than it should be, but the severity has been reduced by not using Firefox for the last few days.

Hope this helps someone while Dell continues to try and sort this out. Nothing worse than a super noisy laptop when it was designed to be ultra portable and lightweight.

Hi @thesuit, I would suggest reaching out to Firefox and Intel about this. As the system fan behaviour is lessened on other browsers, that pretty much rules out hardware related issues. Have you tried resetting Firefox, disabling any plugins etc to see if it makes any difference?

With regards to the design, the system will not have the same thermal efficiency and heat dissipation of a larger notebook. A smaller, thinner, more portable system has less space for packaging and as result of this has smaller fans and heatsinks. The system therefore has to work harder to cool the system, leading to more noticeable fan noise and usage.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
gjangard
1 Copper

Yesterday I received my XPS 13 9370 I purchased from Costco.  I Immediately noticed the fan noise and a separate grinding type of noise that is present even with basic web browsing.  Fortunately I can return this to Costco.

0 Kudos
Ozzieav
1 Copper

Mine does the same, and even worse. I spent 2k on this computer and I regret it. I reported the issue to Dell and I have to send it to Dell to be repaired. 2k in a defective/ refurbished laptop!!! When I close the lid it makes some fan noises like a car that is trying to start. Then it might or it might not go to sleep. if it does go to sleep it might wake up by itself and the fans go crazy and eventually it gets super hot. Also when using the laptop fans get LOUD with only a few or one app running. I am very disappointed! 

0 Kudos