Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 21st, 2018 03:00

@mckim1003wrote:

Hey Dell- Alan,

Yes, I also downloaded the BIOS 1.3.2 but the fan noise seems louder than before.  It seems like some redownloaded the BIOS 1.2 instead so should I re-install that back?  Please let me know.  

Hope Dell can really resolve this fan noise issue...

Best Regards,

Matt

Hi Matt,

As per my response to the other posts in the thread can you elaborate on how the BIOS update has made the issue worse? Has the fan got louder when the system is at idle or do you hear it more when under load? What profile are you noticing this issue on? Does it make any difference whether your are running on ac power or battery?

Is the system giving any mechanical noises i.e growling or grinding?

Alan

3 Posts

May 21st, 2018 08:00

@Dell-Alan D - Did you delete my post about Firefox causing my system fans to often be on full blast when using any other browser does not cause this?

1 Message

May 21st, 2018 10:00

Just thought I'd share my experience getting my fan noise repair done. Received my 9370 refurb on May 2nd, heard the fan noise issue right away. Tried the BIOS upgrade, nothing. Then the charger cable broke and I couldn't charge my computer anymore, luckily my wife has a dell from work so I borrowed he cable to charge. So I called support, went through roughly 2 hours of support only for them to tell me to send it in for repairs. Returned the computer, and received confirmation. Days later I get an email saying the parts aren't available I have to wait around 5 days for the parts to come in. At this point I don't want to deal with waiting. Since these laptop have a 30 day return policy I called to tell them to keep the computer and send me a refund. An hour and 38 minutes, 5 support workers and 2-3 departments later, they come to the conclusion that they need to ship me back my computer and then I have to ship it back to them with a label number. They couldn't simply send it back to themselves? I asked if will be receiving the computer in time so that I can request this return label number before my thirty days are up for returning the laptop with a refund. They didn't know, they simply said to let us know when it comes in as quick as I could so they can process. I won't be recommending these products to anyone anytime soon.

dellWaitngTime.jpg

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 01:00

@thesuitwrote:

@Dell-Alan D - Did you delete my post about Firefox causing my system fans to often be on full blast when using any other browser does not cause this?

Hi @thesuit, I didn't see your post at all. When I received the notification and clicked on the link it was already removed. It's possible that a mod reviewed it and moved it to another board. Going on the statement you have provided, it sounds like a Firefox specific issue if other browsers are not causing issue.

Edit - I've had the post reviewed and it's now showing, I shall respond to it shortly.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2018 04:00

@thesuitwrote:

I am/was having the same problem with both Ubuntu and Windows 10 across 3 different versions of BIOS on my 9370. Previously on version 1.2.0, it seemed to be exacerbated by having the power cable plugged in, but that doesn't seem to matter since 1.2.1 and 1.3.2.

I'm not sure if this will help anyone else, but I realized that Firefox has serious performance problems when using hardware acceleration with our laptops; specifically, with playing videos and music. HTML5 videos in HD were constantly having playback problems and didn't register mouse clicks for sometimes 5 seconds. I was also getting notifications from Windows 10 that graphics acceleration had been disabled for Firefox randomly, and I had to restart Firefox to get it back. Meanwhile, my laptop fans are screaming like I'm trying to play a high-performance video game in 4K with Ultra-High settings.

Disabling hardware acceleration resolved the HTML5 problems and reduced memory consumption, but increased CPU usage by 3x and the fans were still loud. I'm willing to guess this is Firefox not playing nicely with Intel integrated graphics.

Using Brave, Chrome, or Opera results in less resource usage and much faster performance.

The fan noise is still louder than it should be, but the severity has been reduced by not using Firefox for the last few days.

Hope this helps someone while Dell continues to try and sort this out. Nothing worse than a super noisy laptop when it was designed to be ultra portable and lightweight.

Hi @thesuit, I would suggest reaching out to Firefox and Intel about this. As the system fan behaviour is lessened on other browsers, that pretty much rules out hardware related issues. Have you tried resetting Firefox, disabling any plugins etc to see if it makes any difference?

With regards to the design, the system will not have the same thermal efficiency and heat dissipation of a larger notebook. A smaller, thinner, more portable system has less space for packaging and as result of this has smaller fans and heatsinks. The system therefore has to work harder to cool the system, leading to more noticeable fan noise and usage.

Alan

1 Message

May 22nd, 2018 06:00

Yesterday I received my XPS 13 9370 I purchased from Costco.  I Immediately noticed the fan noise and a separate grinding type of noise that is present even with basic web browsing.  Fortunately I can return this to Costco.

11 Posts

May 23rd, 2018 20:00

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your response. After installing the new bios a few weeks back, it seems the fan is blowing more during idle tasks. 

I noticed Dell launched a new bios today, i'll try installing that then retrace my steps from debugging and report back if that resolves the issue. I'd prefer not to reset unless absolutely necessary. 

There is no growling/grinding that I experience with my fan, it is just loud and always on was the issue. 

11 Posts

May 24th, 2018 01:00

Hi Alan,

I can confirm now the new bios released today (5-23) is no longer causing the fans to blow during idle tasks.

It's hard to say whether the resolution is a result of my debugging or the new bios but I'm satisfied for now, and I'll report back if anything changes.

As for the remaining issues that prevent this from being a perfect lap

B) The time it takes to see the Dell Logo when you restart or boot the system up, then actually reach the Windows screen is beyond ridiculous compared to other systems (somewhere between 12 - 20 seconds depending). My ASUS with 8gb lpddr3 and i5-8250U boots up in 3 seconds. 

C) I don't know the technical term for this but you can see the systems overall performance with screen recording/ video applications, or even watching a youtube video is a lot wonkier / laggier than even my lesser priced ASUS. Even when I'm scrolling through a Chrome website like yahoo.com articles on the track pad, it's not as smooth as other systems. My guess is this has to do with the 4K video cost-benefit. 

D) When battery depletes, once you plug back in and hit the power button, sometimes it doesn't return from sleep mode and gets stuck at the dell logo and the loader never shows. Only when you hit the power button a second time to restart the computer will you be able to return to windows.

E) Battery life isn't as advertised. I get 4-5 hours tops during daily use (browsing Chrome, skype video calls, Adobe programs, and vid recording software) that's on 'better battery' or 'better performance' set in battery settings, with Dell power plan selected. Most laptops in this price range like my ASUS will get 8 hours of solid battery life when doing the same tasks.

Please advise if Dell is aware of these issues. 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 24th, 2018 03:00

@frenzylabs wrote:

Hi Alan,

I can confirm now the new bios released today (5-23) is no longer causing the fans to blow during idle tasks.

It's hard to say whether the resolution is a result of my debugging or the new bios but I'm satisfied for now, and I'll report back if anything changes.

As for the remaining issues that prevent this from being a perfect lap

B) The time it takes to see the Dell Logo when you restart or boot the system up, then actually reach the Windows screen is beyond ridiculous compared to other systems (somewhere between 12 - 20 seconds depending). My ASUS with 8gb lpddr3 and i5-8250U boots up in 3 seconds. 

C) I don't know the technical term for this but you can see the systems overall performance with screen recording/ video applications, or even watching a youtube video is a lot wonkier / laggier than even my lesser priced ASUS. Even when I'm scrolling through a Chrome website like yahoo.com articles on the track pad, it's not as smooth as other systems. My guess is this has to do with the 4K video cost-benefit. 

D) When battery depletes, once you plug back in and hit the power button, sometimes it doesn't return from sleep mode and gets stuck at the dell logo and the loader never shows. Only when you hit the power button a second time to restart the computer will you be able to return to windows.

E) Battery life isn't as advertised. I get 4-5 hours tops during daily use (browsing Chrome, skype video calls, Adobe programs, and vid recording software) that's on 'better battery' or 'better performance' set in battery settings, with Dell power plan selected. Most laptops in this price range like my ASUS will get 8 hours of solid battery life when doing the same tasks.

Please advise if Dell is aware of these issues. 

Hi @frenzylabs

Thanks for the update and confirming the latest BIOS update resolves the fan noise issue. With regards to your list of issues, there have been no issues raised with us that require further investigation. 

For your system comparisons with battery and boot time, unless the two systems are absolute identical it's not a like for like comparison. I have had a look at multiple reviews online and prolonged testing by users with the 4K screen have seen an average of 8 -9 hours battery life. On the best performance power plan and using applications that are resource intensive i.e Adobe editing software, 5hrs battery life has been mentioned. This reduction in battery life compared to previous models is due to the battery capacity dropping to 52 WH/R compared to 60 W/HR previously used.

The sleep mode could be driver related, I've certainly not heard of this from other users. Again this may be resolved by refreshing your Windows. 

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 24th, 2018 04:00

Hi everyone, 

A new BIOS revision 1.3.3 has been released to further address the fan speed issues that you have advised us of. It can be downloaded from here

Can you try installing this latest revision and let me how if the fan performance is now improved.

Additionally, have any of you encountered issues with resuming from sleep mode after the battery is depleted and the system just hangs on the Dell logo.

Thanks for all your feedback and help with these issues.

Alan

5 Posts

May 25th, 2018 06:00

Hey Alan,

Ive been following this fan noise issue on this discussion board and downloaded the latest BIOS that you just posted.  I am still having fan noise especially when the AC power is plugged in.  I have nothing going on the computer and it is at rest, but the fan noise will still come on like its working hard.  Please continue to work on this with more BIOS updates.  I appreciate your support but would like this resolved!

Best REgards,

Matt

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 25th, 2018 07:00

@mckim1003 wrote:

Hey Alan,

Ive been following this fan noise issue on this discussion board and downloaded the latest BIOS that you just posted.  I am still having fan noise especially when the AC power is plugged in.  I have nothing going on the computer and it is at rest, but the fan noise will still come on like its working hard.  Please continue to work on this with more BIOS updates.  I appreciate your support but would like this resolved!

Best REgards,

Matt

Hi Matt, the feedback I have received so far indicates that the latest BIOS 1.3.3 resolves the fan noise issue. If it's not resolved it on your system there may be more to your issue. As per my previous response what power profile are you running on the system? Where is this system being used when this occurs, is it on a solid flat surface? Does it still occur on battery only power? Is the system giving any mechanical noises i.e growling or grinding?

Alan

2 Posts

May 26th, 2018 10:00

Mine does the same, and even worse. I spent 2k on this computer and I regret it. I reported the issue to Dell and I have to send it to Dell to be repaired. 2k in a defective/ refurbished laptop!!! When I close the lid it makes some fan noises like a car that is trying to start. Then it might or it might not go to sleep. if it does go to sleep it might wake up by itself and the fans go crazy and eventually it gets super hot. Also when using the laptop fans get LOUD with only a few or one app running. I am very disappointed! 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 29th, 2018 01:00

@Ozzieav wrote:

Mine does the same, and even worse. I spent 2k on this computer and I regret it. I reported the issue to Dell and I have to send it to Dell to be repaired. 2k in a defective/ refurbished laptop!!! When I close the lid it makes some fan noises like a car that is trying to start. Then it might or it might not go to sleep. if it does go to sleep it might wake up by itself and the fans go crazy and eventually it gets super hot. Also when using the laptop fans get LOUD with only a few or one app running. I am very disappointed! 

Hi @Ozzieav, I'm sorry to hear of the issues with your laptop and can understand your frustrations. The fan issues can be addressed with a service call and a BIOS update. 

I'll drop you a private message and see what I can do to help you out.

Alan

3 Posts

May 29th, 2018 16:00

Hi Alan, I got a XPS 9560 and I have the similar problem. However there is no such update for 9560. Could you please also make one for this model?

No Events found!