edwardxu
1 Copper

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

I have the same problem

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)

XPS 13 9370

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

0 Kudos
BigOT
2 Bronze

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@BigOT wrote:

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

Hi @BigOT

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans, the second can be addressed by updating the BIOS to the latest revision - 1.3.3 

Which issue are you experiencing and do you still have the problem after updating the BIOS to the latest revision?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
BigOT
2 Bronze

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@BigOT wrote:

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

Hi, 

A BIOS update is a relatively straightforward process, there are step by step instructions on what to do to update the BIOS at the link I sent. It's a few button clicks and then leaving the system to update itself. If the system is experiencing a loud fan as you have mentioned, this BIOS update should resolve the issue.

Can I ask what the nature of the complaint is about the service please?

With regards to a complaints address, these tend to be completed in writing normally to the head office. You could try the following address, however as I'm based in the UK I can't guarantee that this is correct

Customer Complaints
155 Gordon Baker Rd #501,
North York,
Ontario
M2H 3N5
Canada

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
thodin
2 Bronze

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news 😞

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@thodin wrote:

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news 😞

Hi @thodin thanks for posting. I'll drop you a private message for your service tag to find out what warranty entitlement you have and where you are located. A replacement fan and a BIOS update should resolve the issue for you. 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Bas_Mienis
1 Copper

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@Bas_Mienis wrote:

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

Hi @Bas_Mienis i'll drop you a private message for some more details and I can then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bluebears
1 Copper

Just took mine out the box and set it up. Opened a browser and the fan is extremely loud with a single browser open to a google search page - nothing else happening. Aside from fan running at full bore, the block on the cord is HOT as is the laptop itself. It is sitting next to my ~4 year old thinkpad yoga - which is totally silent. I agree that after spending so much ~$1800 with warranty, this is absurd. Help! How do you fix this -- or is it a return??

0 Kudos