Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

2 Posts

June 12th, 2018 04:00

I have bought laptop today. I have updated bios and drivers, but have same problems. What should I do?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 12th, 2018 05:00

@gigsmic wrote:

I have bought laptop today. I have updated bios and drivers, but have same problems. What should I do?

Hi @gigsmic thanks for getting in touch in touch about this. If the fan is still noisy after updating the BIOS then it requires a service call to fix it. I'll send you a private message to get your service tag and then advise what your options are.

Alan

1 Message

June 15th, 2018 06:00

Hello, 

I am experiencing the same king of grinding noise on my brand new XPS15 9560. If I put my hand next to the keyboard, on the right side, I can even feel a slight pulsing vibration. I have applied the latest BIOS update.

Could you help ?

Alex

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 15th, 2018 06:00

@AlexFromHere wrote:

Hello, 

I am experiencing the same king of grinding noise on my brand new XPS15 9560. If I put my hand next to the keyboard, on the right side, I can even feel a slight pulsing vibration. I have applied the latest BIOS update.

Could you help ?

Alex

Hi @AlexFromHere I'll drop you a private message for your tag details and advise what your options are.

Alan

5 Posts

June 15th, 2018 08:00

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

Hi all, 

The new BIOS revision 1.3.2 has been released with the following fixes amongst others

- Adjust fan speed
- Skips keys when typing fast

The update can be downloaded from here

Can you try the update and let me know how the fans on the system are after the update. Thanks

Alan

Alan - I don't know what's going on but the newer BIOS's reduce CPU speed by 65%, what's up with that?  The XPS 13 9370 used to have a 25W max TDP on the CPU, allowing sustained ~2.8ghz on all cores.  Now, after a few BIOS updates, speeds are now limited to 15W which translates to about 1.7GHz.

I don't know what Dell is doing but you can't send XPS 13 9370's to reviewers and talk about the superior performance and then release a BIOS update that cuts CPU speed by 65% - that's straight up fraud.

Second, the fan issues are absolutely obnoxious - I think MANY people here are upset because they have their fans grinding and are defective (I had one unit that had a defective fan, dell support was worthless and told me to turn it on "quiet" mode which obviously didn't fix the grinding noise and throttled the CPU down to ~1.1GHz, so I ended up returning it).

Lots of issues with how Dell is treating their customers.

11 Posts

June 18th, 2018 17:00

Hi Alan,

I can't speak to reduced CPU speeds, I haven't monitored but if what @irev211 is saying is correct, that's very concerning.

The main problem I'm experiencing now is my system will never return to Windows after sleep Mode. I have to do a hard restart every time I open my laptop after closing it. It just shows the Dell Logo and the loader symbol is missing.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Apparently there are many threads on Reddit addressing this https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7xcbac/xps_9370_sleep_mode_is_a_black_hole/

James

June 19th, 2018 00:00

Hi Alan,

I to am experiencing this grinding noise. After applying the latest BIOS update the grinding noise is gone, however the laptop doesn't cool properly anymore. When I stress the laptop, the temperature skyrockets to 90C, then starts throtteling and lowers to 70C, climbs to 80C and THEN the fan kicks in. It seems however only one of the fans actually works properly, the other one does spin, but not out of itself it seems.

This temperature is still rather high and doesn't solve the fact that it shoudn't be grinding in the first place. And that is basically throttels by default.

I live in the Netherlands, can you send me a pm as well with my options? Obviously I want the fan to be fixed/replaced.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 19th, 2018 02:00

@frenzylabs wrote:

Hi Alan,

I can't speak to reduced CPU speeds, I haven't monitored but if what @irev211 is saying is correct, that's very concerning.

The main problem I'm experiencing now is my system will never return to Windows after sleep Mode. I have to do a hard restart every time I open my laptop after closing it. It just shows the Dell Logo and the loader symbol is missing.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? Apparently there are many threads on Reddit addressing this https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7xcbac/xps_9370_sleep_mode_is_a_black_hole/

James

Hi @frenzylabs, the system throttling the CPU is to prevent it from reaching is thermal limit and overheating resulting in damage to the motherboard. This is the same principal that has been applied to the 9550 and the 9560 that preceded the 9570. The system is working as designed and more information can be found here

For the sleep mode issue, I see that the thread is approximately 4 months old. Predominantly, sleep mode issues are due to outdated drivers or a corrupt Windows install. Your 9370 has had multiple driver and BIOS updates since it was released, are you running the latest BIOS and drivers on the system?

The thread also suggests that the issues was fixed with a clean install of the operating system. When we last spoke I advised that you carry out a fresh install of the OS to address the issues you were having approximately a month ago, have you reinstalled the operating system since then?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 19th, 2018 02:00

@Jeroen0494 wrote:

Hi Alan,

I to am experiencing this grinding noise. After applying the latest BIOS update the grinding noise is gone, however the laptop doesn't cool properly anymore. When I stress the laptop, the temperature skyrockets to 90C, then starts throtteling and lowers to 70C, climbs to 80C and THEN the fan kicks in. It seems however only one of the fans actually works properly, the other one does spin, but not out of itself it seems.

This temperature is still rather high and doesn't solve the fact that it shoudn't be grinding in the first place. And that is basically throttels by default.

I live in the Netherlands, can you send me a pm as well with my options? Obviously I want the fan to be fixed/replaced.

Kind regards,

Jeroen

Hi @Jeroen0494, I'll drop you a private message and then advise your options.

Alan

1 Message

June 20th, 2018 07:00

I bought an XPS 13 9370 from Costco last week and am experiencing the same fan issues. Updated BIOS but the fan still kicks in as soon as the laptop is plugged in, and I get the grinding fan noise.

What is the turnaround time for maintenance? Quite frankly, I'd rather just return this and keep buying a new one until I get a laptop that actually works out of the box.

How widespread is the fan issue? Is it on every machine? I don't want to deal with this problem for a $1400 computer.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2018 00:00

@brianosaur wrote:

I bought an XPS 13 9370 from Costco last week and am experiencing the same fan issues. Updated BIOS but the fan still kicks in as soon as the laptop is plugged in, and I get the grinding fan noise.

What is the turnaround time for maintenance? Quite frankly, I'd rather just return this and keep buying a new one until I get a laptop that actually works out of the box.

How widespread is the fan issue? Is it on every machine? I don't want to deal with this problem for a $1400 computer.

Hi @brianosaur

As the fan is grinding it requires a service call to replace the fans. The service call ultimately depends on what warranty you paid for. If you purchased a return to base warranty you would be looking at a turnaround of 5 - 10 days. If it's next business day warranty I would book up an engineer for you. 

If you are not happy with the quality of the system and want to return it, I could request a system exchange for you. As you bought the system from Costco, they may be able to exchange the system for you much quicker than we can as they will most likely have identical systems in stock. If instead you would like a refund, again you would need to take it back to Costco as you bought the system from them rather than direct from Dell.

I'll send you a message for your service tag details.

Alan

4 Posts

June 27th, 2018 11:00

Dear support staff,

now i have the same with the fan on the right side. It would be nice to know which fans they are. So i can replace it myself. Not have to send it in and wait long time.

Thank you,

Daniel

1 Message

June 27th, 2018 20:00

I think I just fixed the constant fan noise issue on my one-week old 9570, dual booting with Ubuntu 16.04. I first followed [1] and then installed [2]:

[1]: See FAN MANAGEMENT in https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/5y3rii/xps_9560_battery_life_optimization_and_fan/

[2]: https://github.com/TomFreudenberg/dell-bios-fan-control

smm.c does not exist any more on i8kutils-1.43 and [2] is the alternative way to disable BIOS fan control. I did hope there is also a BIOS update for 9570 since the same fan problem exists but the above-mentioned solution seems sufficient for now (also posted on Reddit for reference).

There are still some noise issues on my lap 2) high-pitch sound whenever AC adapter is on. Guess theses are hardware issues and 1) can only be solved with fan replaced. Anyway it is already a lot better now being able to adjust the fan speed.

12 Posts

June 28th, 2018 03:00

I don't know if you're aware of this but the latest version of the BIOS (1.4.0) is available since June 12. I hope for you guys that will solve the fan noise issue. Well in my case it was already solved with the 1.3.2 version of the BIOS

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 16:00

I got back from holiday and opened up my new dell today. I have updated to the 1.4 bios. My laptop is still suffering from constant loud fan noise. I'll reinstall the OS tomorrow and see what happens. I really don't have time for this sort of nonsense. I wanted to just get my programs on to the new machine and start using it at work this week, but it is too loud to take into a meeting. I'll have to struggle on with my old machine with its cracked screen and failing power supply.

No Events found!