Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

@drindt wrote:

Dear support staff,

now i have the same with the fan on the right side. It would be nice to know which fans they are. So i can replace it myself. Not have to send it in and wait long time.

Thank you,

Daniel

Hi @drindt, both fans are linked, there is no way to separate them. The full fan assembly needs to be replaced. Here's the link to the service manual, page 45 if for the fan removal steps - http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/xps-13-9370-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf

If you still require support and need a service call organised if you haven't already done so, please send me a private message to @Dell-Alan D and I'll see what I can do.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Arizo
1 Copper

I have the sense from this thread and my own experience that the issue is widespread. After sending my XPS13 in for repairs (for the *second* time in 6 months, although the first time was not for the fan but the machine randomly rebooting itself) the fan issue appeared at first to be better but then came back. There was also a sort of persistent internal clicking/processing noise whenever I used the trackpad.

I was convinced that I had simply gotten a "lemon", and after making a HUGE fuss, Dell sent me a replacement machine. I just opened it, and within 5 minutes of setting it up, with only 2 browser tabs open, the fan is going full blast. 

Now I'm stuck wondering whether I should keep the old machine, at least knowing that it has a new fan (that's the repair made according to documentation) or stick with the new machine that seems to have exactly the same problem...

0 Kudos

Hi @Arizo,

Thanks for your contribution. I would expect the fan to be running like that with only a few tabs open. Can you provide some additional details please :-

a) After using the system for a few days, is the fan still spinning loudly and quickly?
b) If you change the performance plan does the fan noise change?
c) Is there any difference whether you run the the laptop on battery only or with the ac adaptor connected?
d) Have you updated the system to the latest BIOS revision - 1.0.4

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Arizo
1 Copper

Thanks, Alan!

I haven't done extensive further diagnostics, BIOS updates etc. This noise was happening when I ran it on battery, not A/C powered. The one change that I did make was to the performance plan (as per comments in this thread.) That stopped the fan noise in the moment, but it was such a red flag that I stopped using that machine. 

Since this is a brand new machine (literally out of the box), I'm debating whether to keep it or my old one (which also has unresolved issues but is at least already set up for me with my programs and files, etc.), or hopefully return both for a refund. I haven't kept using it since noticing the issue to know whether it persisted. This is a work laptop and there is a switching cost that I'm not inclined to undertake if I don't keep the machine. 

Thanks for following up in private message for the service tag details.

0 Kudos
srn1127
1 Copper

I just purchased this laptop today. Everything else is awesome. But the FAN NOISE is so annoying. Its making so much noise even when I am not doing anything. I downloaded DELL Power Manager and did all the settings. Still no luck. Paid so much money for this. This is going back if its noisy. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BigOT
1 Copper

I got a full refund even after the 30-day return period, but I had to put up a pretty big fight. Customer support ran all the diagnostics and they couldn't find anything. It's just a poorly engineered fan system. I'm never buying a Dell again.

0 Kudos

@srn1127 wrote:

I just purchased this laptop today. Everything else is awesome. But the FAN NOISE is so annoying. Its making so much noise even when I am not doing anything. I downloaded DELL Power Manager and did all the settings. Still no luck. Paid so much money for this. This is going back if its noisy. 

Hi @srn1127, is the fan noise you are experiencing simpy loud, or is it making a grinding growling noise? If the system fan is grinding and growling I need to get the fans replaced on the system to address this. If it's loud - A combination of the latest BIOS, Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers and the Dell power manager should ensure that the fans run at their quietest level. 

As I have alluded to in previous posts, the fan noise is a byproduct of the ultrabook design, more evidently with those with more powerful processors. In order to fit a motherboard and fan/heatsink assembly into the thin chassis, the fans and heatsink have been reduced in size. As a result of this they have to work harder to cool the system. This in turn leads to the fans spinning faster and subsequently louder during less intensive tasks. This is why the system fan appears to be louder. The thermal tables have been altered in BIOS releases to address the complaints of fan noise, reducing it to an acceptable level. The system is working as designed and the fan noise is considered within acceptable levels for usage.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
srn1127
1 Copper

Thank you for the reply. Its just loud noise of the fan. I don't think it needs a change in the fan system. But I will know more as I use it. I bought the product from BestBuy assuming they have all the latest config laptops.

How do I ensure I have the combination of the latest BIOS, Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers and the Dell power manager? Could you please walk me through? 

0 Kudos
srn1127
1 Copper

Thank you for the reply. Its just loud noise of the fan. I don't think it needs a change in the fan system. But I will know more as I use it. I bought the product from BestBuy assuming they have all the latest config laptops.

How do I ensure I have the combination of the latest BIOS, Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework drivers and the Dell power manager? Could you please walk me through? 

0 Kudos

@srn1127 wrote:

Hi @srn1127 you can download install the Dell Command | Update utility that runs automatically and systematically checks for all driver and BIOS updates and then installs them. This should keep your system up to date. 

It can be downloaded here

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos