Korben88
1 Copper

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

Got a new Dell XPS 13 - 9370

Fan seems to be constantly on, sometimes spinning VERY fast and loud.
Tried updating latest BIOS and drivers.
All lastest Win10Pro updates.
Laptop is even sitting on a cooling pad.

Nothing helps.

Is there a cure to this?  VVTF DELL, FIX THIS!

0 Kudos
Annik S
1 Copper

I just received this Dell today and it's the first thing I noticed. The fan is CONTINUOUS. If this is a "feature" back it goes.

0 Kudos
Necravolver
2 Bronze

0 Kudos
pkvin
1 Copper

I also purchased XPS 9370 laptop and facing this "unusual" fan noise which does not go away even with all suggestion provided in this forum (like bios update, power management..). This is clearly a mechanical problem that several machines (may be a entire batch) are suffering. It is not clear how a company like Dell can keep selling faulty machine when there are different quality control steps in place. Now paid a premium price to buy and  worried how to fix it. I purchased this machine in US and moved to India. The warranty it comes with it is basic (no on-site warranty). I would like to replace the fan as suggested by some dell executives. I see there is transfer of warranty option but I read in one of the forum that this can be done only if it is onsite warranty.  I request concerned person to confirm this and whether the on-site service will be provided by Dell India

Secondly, I don't wish to transfer it but instead get the Dell India to replace the fan ( I might move again).  I could unwillingly pay for the service of brand new machine provided that Dell India  (not the authorized service centers) can do the on site job in Hyderabad. I request the Dell India staff to provide a quotation for it.

0 Kudos
FredrikHansson
2 Bronze

I still have this problem with my XPS 9370. I used the laptop with docking station for 3 months but got tired of the incredible slow performance cause, most likely, by high temperatures. 

I got the best i7 and 16GB ram and it takes 5-10sec to open explorer (?)

Now i have switched back to my old computer and the i use the XPS only to take notes on meetings, quite the shame when you paid a premium.. 

Fyi, i have it charging beside me without ANYTHING running and the fan is working loudly. (I have the new BIOS and i have updated BIOS a few times without any difference)

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@FredrikHansson wrote:

I still have this problem with my XPS 9370. I used the laptop with docking station for 3 months but got tired of the incredible slow performance cause, most likely, by high temperatures. 

I got the best i7 and 16GB ram and it takes 5-10sec to open explorer (?)

Now i have switched back to my old computer and the i use the XPS only to take notes on meetings, quite the shame when you paid a premium.. 

Fyi, i have it charging beside me without ANYTHING running and the fan is working loudly. (I have the new BIOS and i have updated BIOS a few times without any difference)

Hi @FredrikHansson, thanks for reaching out on the forum. From the information you have provided there appears to be 2 issues with your system general slowness and a loud fan.

The system will throttle the processor during intensive loads or once the system reaches an extremely high temperature in order to protect itself from thermal shutdown. Whilst these ultrabooks do show high temperatures during use, it shouldn't be reaching the point of throttling processor under normal everyday usage. The fan will spin perceivably louder during use and more frequently due to the thermal design of an ultrabook chassis. You mentioned that the slow performance is most likely due to high temperatures - what makes you think this?

When you say explorer, do you mean Windows or Internet explorer?
Is this issue also seen on other applications?
If you run the system in safe mode, do you encounter the same issues with opening explorer?

Have you tried changing the the performance profile to quiet mode to reduce fan noise during use?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
palmtreefrb1
1 Copper

I just got a brand new XPS 13 3970 and I've the same issue with loud and rattling noise on the fan. What do I need to do to get a new fan? I don't want to send it away for repairs. Can a new fan be sent for me to install?

I have installed all the latest updates including bios 1.5.1

Service Tag : <Service tag removed>
Express Service code : <Express service code removed>
Memory : 16 GB
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz[Cores 4] [Logical/Core 2]
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 10 Home

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@palmtreefrb1 wrote:

I just got a brand new XPS 13 3970 and I've the same issue with loud and rattling noise on the fan. What do I need to do to get a new fan? I don't want to send it away for repairs. Can a new fan be sent for me to install?

I have installed all the latest updates including bios 1.5.1

Service Tag : <Service tag removed>
Express Service code : <Express service code removed>
Memory : 16 GB
@processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz[Cores 4] [Logical/Core 2]
Operating System : Microsoft Windows 10 Home

@palmtreefrb1 if the fan is confirmed to be mechanically failing and you are confident in replacing it yourself, I can organise a service call to have the parts sent to you. As this is a public forum your service tag details have been removed. I'll drop you a private message to get the details from you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
saigai
2 Bronze

My XPS 13 9370, bought in April 2018, has started having this issue too.

At certain fan speeds, the fan makes a mechanical "grinding" sound, suggesting a faulty bearing.

I would be very interested in just receiving a new fan, as I'm capable of replacing it myself. Having to send the laptop for repairs for this small issue would be quite inconvenient.

Please, let me know if this is possible, thank you!

0 Kudos
wkbag18
2 Bronze

Hi,

I have the same problem, bios updated to the latest version, and even thermal management set to "quiet" but when the fan kick in, it makes a very loud grinding noise.

Apparently, the fan has to be replaced, but the problem that I'm currently outside USA and will only return after the end of the warranty period. 

Please advice.

thanks 

0 Kudos