Highlighted
BigOT
1 Copper

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

Return it ASAP. Worthless PC from a worthless company. Get a Lenovo ThinkPad instead.

Saad82
1 Copper

I have just received my laptop and set it up. The fan noise is quite high and not stopping for a long time. My order (xps 13 (9370) order=<Order number removed>).

0 Kudos

One more unhappy customer. I will prevent any of my team member to get a XPS, unless sleep isn't working. The fan keeps running even in S0 low power mode. If the system wake up in his bag it may be dangerous, I think it should be forbidden from a plane, much as galaxy. Please give us back the possiblity to sleep S3, or a modern sleep that work.
fannoicevictim
1 Copper

Re: New Dell XPS 13 (9370) fan noise issues.

Hello Jesse L,

I am having this "fan noice" issue as well and I have read some solution posts about this. Those "solutions" are assuming that this is a performance issue and they try to reduce the performance so that the computer won't heat up too much and so won't run the fans. I don't want that, and on the other hand, I have no complain about the fan running, I am having trouble that it is making a noise that is not at all normal. definitely the fan is touching somewhere that it shouldn't. Please let me know if we have a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

Halit C.

0 Kudos

@fannoicevictim wrote:

Hello Jesse L,

I am having this "fan noice" issue as well and I have read some solution posts about this. Those "solutions" are assuming that this is a performance issue and they try to reduce the performance so that the computer won't heat up too much and so won't run the fans. I don't want that, and on the other hand, I have no complain about the fan running, I am having trouble that it is making a noise that is not at all normal. definitely the fan is touching somewhere that it shouldn't. Please let me know if we have a solution for this.

Thanks in advance.

Halit C.

@fannoicevictim if the system is making an abnormal noise as you have described, the fan needs to be replaced due to mechanical failure. I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag and contact details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

fannoicevictim
1 Copper

I just gave the details.

Thank you!

0 Kudos

@fannoicevictim wrote:

I just gave the details.

Thank you!

@fannoicevictim I haven't received any private messages from you. Do you mind sending on the details again please. 

Thanks, Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
wkbag18
1 Copper

same issue here

0 Kudos

@wkbag18 wrote:

same issue here

@wkbag18 if the fan is mechanically failing with a grinding or growling sound then it needs the fan replaced. If it's loud, a BIOS update should improve the noise.

I'll drop you a private message to get more information from you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
EmptyHeaded
1 Copper

I received my refurb 9370 three days ago and the fan noise was immediately noticeable out of the box. A grinding noise, like there is sand in the fan. I went through all the steps outlined here (updates and quiet mode) and the noise is still there. It's definitely a mechanical issue with the fans as I can move the laptop around while the noise is present and can kinda make it disappear. It's almost like the fan bearings are unbalanced or the fans are rubbing on something.

I am leaving in two weeks to travel to Brazil and definitely need the laptop for the trip. About how long is it taking for everyone to get their units back from warranty repair? It's very disappointing that I'm even having to deal with an issue like this. You'd think that quality control should be very easily managed with something like a noisy fan, especially when it seems to be a widespread issue... turn the computer on. Does it make a grinding fan noise? Yes? Bad fans, don't ship.

0 Kudos