L_UP
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

I have the same issue.  I spent $2000 for this new computer, and it is constantly running the fan.  I notice it more when the power source is plugged in, but this is ridiculous.  If there is no fix, I am going to want to return.   My older XPS 13 is better than this NEW XPS

0 Kudos
EmptyHeaded
1 Copper

I received my refurb 9370 three days ago and the fan noise was immediately noticeable out of the box. A grinding noise, like there is sand in the fan. I went through all the steps outlined here (updates and quiet mode) and the noise is still there. It's definitely a mechanical issue with the fans as I can move the laptop around while the noise is present and can kinda make it disappear. It's almost like the fan bearings are unbalanced or the fans are rubbing on something.

I am leaving in two weeks to travel to Brazil and definitely need the laptop for the trip. About how long is it taking for everyone to get their units back from warranty repair? It's very disappointing that I'm even having to deal with an issue like this. You'd think that quality control should be very easily managed with something like a noisy fan, especially when it seems to be a widespread issue... turn the computer on. Does it make a grinding fan noise? Yes? Bad fans, don't ship.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@EmptyHeaded wrote:

I received my refurb 9370 three days ago and the fan noise was immediately noticeable out of the box. A grinding noise, like there is sand in the fan. I went through all the steps outlined here (updates and quiet mode) and the noise is still there. It's definitely a mechanical issue with the fans as I can move the laptop around while the noise is present and can kinda make it disappear. It's almost like the fan bearings are unbalanced or the fans are rubbing on something.

I am leaving in two weeks to travel to Brazil and definitely need the laptop for the trip. About how long is it taking for everyone to get their units back from warranty repair? It's very disappointing that I'm even having to deal with an issue like this. You'd think that quality control should be very easily managed with something like a noisy fan, especially when it seems to be a widespread issue... turn the computer on. Does it make a grinding fan noise? Yes? Bad fans, don't ship.

@EmptyHeaded it all depends on what warranty you purchased with the system. If its mail service then you could be looking at a week turn around time. If you fit the fan yourself which some on here have done with little difficulty, you would be looking at a day or two. The same applies with an engineer call. I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag and I can then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
xohersheys
1 Copper

XPS Fan Noise

I am also having the same issues with my XPS. The fan is so loud whether it's idle or being used. It's even worst when it's charging. There are brief 5 minutes where it stops, but then it'll pick right back up again 😞 Please help troubleshoot. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

Re: XPS Fan Noise

@xohersheys wrote:

I am also having the same issues with my XPS. The fan is so loud whether it's idle or being used. It's even worst when it's charging. There are brief 5 minutes where it stops, but then it'll pick right back up again 😞 Please help troubleshoot. Thank you!

@xohersheys there are two distinct issues that have been mentioned on this thread, one being general fan volume can be perceived as being louder than a conventional notebook the other being the fan makes a grinding / growling noise during use that is indicative of a mechanical failure.

If it's simply loud, updating the BIOS to latest revision should improve this as the BIOS has revised thermal tables which optimise thermal performance v's fan noise. If it's making the grinding noise then the fan needs to be replaced.

Can you advise what the exact issue is that you are experiencing with the system fan.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
terb_j
2 Bronze

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

Dell-Alan D

@terb_j wrote:

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

Hi @terb_j 

If the fan is mechanically failing and updating the BIOS to the latest revision has no affect, a service call is required. I shall drop you a private message to get your tag details and then advise your service call options.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

dingobingo
2 Bronze

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

0 Kudos
Dell-Alan D

@dingobingo wrote:

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

@dingobingo firstly I would ensure that your BIOS is up to date with the latest revision - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=g8f38&oscode=wt64a&produc...

If the fan is mechanically failing and making a grinding noise it needs to be replaced. I will drop you a private message to get your tag details from you.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Jonathinmint
1 Copper

Add my name to the list. Just received a Dell XPS 13 9370. I am happy with everything about this little powerhouse except for the grinding fan noise. It sounds like the bearings are bad or something; when the fan kicks on at all, it's quite loud.

0 Kudos