Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

@BigOT wrote:

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

Hi, 

A BIOS update is a relatively straightforward process, there are step by step instructions on what to do to update the BIOS at the link I sent. It's a few button clicks and then leaving the system to update itself. If the system is experiencing a loud fan as you have mentioned, this BIOS update should resolve the issue.

Can I ask what the nature of the complaint is about the service please?

With regards to a complaints address, these tend to be completed in writing normally to the head office. You could try the following address, however as I'm based in the UK I can't guarantee that this is correct

Customer Complaints
155 Gordon Baker Rd #501,
North York,
Ontario
M2H 3N5
Canada

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos

@jaywp wrote:

I'm having this same problem - a loud rattle like noise when one of the fans turns on. Returning the laptop after using it for a short time, so the fan can be repaired, is going to be very inconvenient. 

Hi @jaywp, if a service call is required it all depends on the warranty you have and what country you are located in. The fan issue isn't going to affect the performance of the laptop as it's making a noise rather than spinning incorrectly. You could wait until a more convenient time to get the system repaired if that helps. I'll drop you a private message for your service tag and I can let you know what your options are unless you have already organised a service call on the system.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
TommyInDell
1 Copper

Hi Alan,

How can dell produce so many pieces of laptop with defective fans? I mean almost laptop comes with grinding noise,what you Quality check team doing ?

Please get a service tag then i can ask your guy to come to replace the fan . I am located in singapore.

You can goolge 9370 noise, you can see how many users are there waiting for this issue.

Regard,

Tommy

0 Kudos

@TommyInDell wrote:

Hi Alan,

How can dell produce so many pieces of laptop with defective fans? I mean almost laptop comes with grinding noise,what you Quality check team doing ?

Please get a service tag then i can ask your guy to come to replace the fan . I am located in singapore.

You can goolge 9370 noise, you can see how many users are there waiting for this issue.

Regard,

Tommy

Hi Tommy, 

Thanks for raising your concerns. With regards to the fan failures, Dell doesn't manufacture parts for the laptops, they are subcontracted out to various parts manufacturers who design and supply the parts to us. If our vendor has a manufacturing issue or a sub-component not designed to specification that is missed at their quality control end, this is then passed on to ourselves.

With regards to numbers, not every system comes with a grinding fan. A few dozen posts on a forum complaining of noisy fan is a tiny percentage of the total volume of these systems sold globally. 

I'll drop you a private message for your service tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
mckim1003
1 Nickel

What do you mean by power profile?  It is on the optimized setting if thats what youre asking.  My laptop is on a flat desk when using.  None to very little fan noise when not plugged in and there is no growling or grinding noise.  Just power plug cases it to still have lou feed fan noise.

0 Kudos

@mckim1003 wrote:

What do you mean by power profile?  It is on the optimized setting if thats what youre asking.  My laptop is on a flat desk when using.  None to very little fan noise when not plugged in and there is no growling or grinding noise.  Just power plug cases it to still have lou feed fan noise.

Thanks for the clarification. As the fan noise is increasing only when the ac adaptor is plugged in and there is no mechanical noises from the fan, that would suggest the system is working as designed and within the acceptable tolerances for noise.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Monty47
1 Nickel

Bios 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 seemed to fix the fan noise issue, but 1.3.2 seems to bring it back...

Anyone noticed the same thing?

0 Kudos
Silvertramp
1 Copper

Hi!

Had the same problem but the latest update of the graphics made it dissapear for me.

/Regards, Andreas

Ozzieav
1 Copper

Your tech support already tried that and more, but it didn't help! I sent the computer to tech support and it came back the same! This is a bad joke! for a 2k computer. This is the 1st time I see an issue like this in a laptop!

0 Kudos

@Monty47 wrote:

Bios 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 seemed to fix the fan noise issue, but 1.3.2 seems to bring it back...

Anyone noticed the same thing?

Hi @Monty47, that's strange to hear that the latest BIOS update made the issue worse. The thermal tables in that revision are supposed to be the most effective so far in reducing noise and improving fan performance. 

Have you updated the rest of the drivers on the system using Command | Update to see if makes any difference 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos