vani44
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 9370 Fan Noise

On my XPS 13 9370, the fan runs continuously while plugged-in and the noise is annoying. And the amount of Work I do is mostly Microsoft Excel. Is anyone having the same problem?. I guess this is where Dell cant compete with Apple ( heating and fan noise )

Claire M
2 Bronze

I am also experiencing the same issue, the fan is running rapidly while charging. The fact that I spent $2000 on this computer and I'm facing quite a few issues doesn't seem to make this computer worth it. I hope they address this soon. 

MikeL0
1 Copper

I received my new XPS 9370 yesterday and noticed the fan noise straight away.  Rang Dell today in UK and they downloaded a bunch of driver updates.  I shared the link from this thread as they said they did not have sight of the issue. They are aware now.  I've adjusted the thermal settings too, so will monitor it over the weekend and ring them back if not improved.  

Having made the changes the fan is running on the lowest setting which is fine (it has at least 3 speeds or 4 and the two highest ones are very noisy).

I'm running a full AV scan using McAfee so that was what was running when I first noticed the issue.

I've had a few other glitches with software, but the noise is something that needs to be right as I was using a MacBook air before and it hardly ever used the fan.

0 Kudos
WouterSch
2 Bronze

Same here. Still wanted to contribute as I'm not sure Dell is picking up on this...
Switched from a Xps13 9350 to a 9370 this week and was shocked by the fan noise. Mostly on AC, but even on battery during light use! The fan on my old 9350 hardly ever turns on. Pity, as build quality, design and screen are superb.
Will contact Dell to return it.

(Also because:
- it boots slower than my 9350, even after removing all unnecesary elements from startup (new bloatware/win10 features that i can't see?),
- the lid swivels back far less than the 9350, which goes almost 180deg,
- unobtrusive mode (fn+f7) is gone
- the fingerprintreader is unreliable, making login frequently slower and more annoying than just using a password).
0 Kudos

Actually they just released a new version of the bios 1.2.1 which I think helps a bit. What do you think?

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=Y385Y&lwp=rt

Cheers,

Salomonteneighty

0 Kudos
Ozab1979
2 Bronze

finally dell

thanks for sharing!! lets see if it helps

0 Kudos
ivafstu
2 Bronze

I bought my xps 13 i7 8th gen about 2 months ago and it has had so many problems!!!

The fan noise is unbelievable, i cant put it on sleep or hibernate because it wont turn on when i open the lid(have to restart it manually), the wifi has had problems and couble of other things....

How is this possible??? 

0 Kudos
Wrajt
2 Bronze

No improvements after installing BIOS 1.2.1, still huge fan noise while power adapter is plugged, nothing changed. I am very upset about this issue in the product of this price and commited "quality" ... please fix ASAP. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Wrajt
2 Bronze

No improvements after installing BIOS 1.2.1, still huge fan noise while power adapter is plugged, nothing changed. I am very upset about this issue in the product of this price and commited "quality" ... please fix ASAP. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
oerthling
2 Bronze

@ivafstuwrote:
i cant put it on sleep or hibernate because it wont turn on when i open the lid(have to restart it manually), the wifi has had problems and couble of other things....

The wakeup after sleep problem - is that on Windows or Ubuntu/Linux?

If the latter - I had the same problem but got it fixed by switching from ath10k blacklist option to something with "killer" under "Software & Updates" -> "Additional Drivers" (from memory -the driver now isn't listed anymore since I switched options).

That fixed it - can now go to sleep and it properly wakes up afterwards.

Have so far not found any downsides - which makes me wonder why the other option was pre-selected.

If you have the same problem on Windows - weird. Perhaps try to find new driver for your wifi chipset?

0 Kudos