XPS

Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

Replies (299)

Same issue here, grinding fan that sounds like it is not balanced properly. Similar to an electric razor. 

I use this laptop for work and I would like to replace the fan myself as it would be a hardship to have to send this off... Please send information on how to resolve this 


@Amphiprion wrote:

Same issue here, grinding fan that sounds like it is not balanced properly. Similar to an electric razor. 

I use this laptop for work and I would like to replace the fan myself as it would be a hardship to have to send this off... Please send information on how to resolve this 


@Amphiprion thanks for getting in touch. I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Same issue here, my fan sometimes works fine, other times I get a rapid ticking that does sound exactly like an electric razor. Love the laptop otherwise, it's an excellent machine!

I have the same problem.  Because I use my laptop so much I've been dealing with it, but it has to be fixed.  The noise is annoying, but the fact is that fan is eventually going to fail.  

Allan, can you hook me up with a fan replacement my friend?  I have all of the original packaging so can get it shipped wherever pretty quickly.

Thx,

Matt

Hi, my XPS 13 9350 just started making fan buzzing noise (electric shaver sound), just as described in other posts above. I'm using this laptop for work so I would rather replace the fan/heatsink myself than be without the laptop while in repair. What would be my best option? The laptop is out of warranty.


@Sinko wrote:

Hi, my XPS 13 9350 just started making fan buzzing noise (electric shaver sound), just as described in other posts above. I'm using this laptop for work so I would rather replace the fan/heatsink myself than be without the laptop while in repair. What would be my best option? The laptop is out of warranty.


Hi @Sinko as your warranty has expired I am unable to offer you a replacement fan repair on the system. You would need to contact your local out of warranty support team or take it to a repair centre, depending on what country you are located in, to find out what your options and costs are.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro


@Matthew_Barnickle wrote:

I have the same problem.  Because I use my laptop so much I've been dealing with it, but it has to be fixed.  The noise is annoying, but the fact is that fan is eventually going to fail.  

Allan, can you hook me up with a fan replacement my friend?  I have all of the original packaging so can get it shipped wherever pretty quickly.

Thx,

Matt


Hi Matt, 

Can you confirm that the fan is mechanically failing and that updating the BIOS to the latest revision does not alter the grinding / growling noise?

I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

My laptop starting doing today, and it looks like the fan is not balanced properly. Happy to replace the fan myself as well. Can you send me the details to get the replacement hardware?

 

Thank you

Wissam 


@JonHooper wrote:

Same issue here, my fan sometimes works fine, other times I get a rapid ticking that does sound exactly like an electric razor. Love the laptop otherwise, it's an excellent machine!


Hi @JonHooper 

The noise you are describing doesn't sound like a grinding or growling noise that is being discussed in the thread.

a) Does the rapid ticking noise change pitch or tone when the fan is under load?
b) Do you hear this ticking noise regardless of whether the system is running on battery only or with the ac adaptor connected?
c) Does updating the BIOS to the latest revision 1.8.1 change the noise at all?  BIOS link here 
d) You mention that the issue is intermittent, how infrequent is it i.e multiple times day, once or twice a day,  afew times a week etc?
e) If you run though the fan tests during the ePSA diagnostics, can you hear this ticking noise during the test? (To run the ePSA diags, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Hi Alan,

Thanks for getting back to me.

To answer your questions: the sound is like a piece of paper catching in the spokes of a bike. (showing my age here ;) )

a) Does the rapid ticking noise change pitch or tone when the fan is under load? 

The sound is only present when the fans are running, it only seems to occur when the fans hit a certain speed.


b) Do you hear this ticking noise regardless of whether the system is running on battery only or with the ac adaptor connected?

It appears on both battery and when plugged in


c) Does updating the BIOS to the latest revision 1.8.1 change the noise at all?  BIOS link here 

Bios already updated and the sound is still there (it's worked fine for the previous 9 months under previous BIOS, this is a recent event)


d) You mention that the issue is intermittent, how infrequent is it i.e multiple times day, once or twice a day,  afew times a week etc?

it will happen 1 in 3 times the fan runs up.


e) If you run though the fan tests during the ePSA diagnostics, can you hear this ticking noise during the test? (To run the ePSA diags, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)

as above 1 in 3 times i can get it to make the noise during the fan test.

I've air-dusted the fans, but that hasn't helped and I've inspected them to see if there was anything interfering with then (such as a loose sticker) but there's nothing there.

thanks again for your time.

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions