XPS

2 Bronze

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

Replies (300)

I have the same problem

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (CPU:0)

XPS 13 9370

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-bit)

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

@BigOT wrote:

Hi, I have the exact same issue. The fan is extremely loud and distracting. I can hear it from across my condo. I'm embarrassed to bring it to a coffee shop, to be honest.

Hi @BigOT

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans, the second can be addressed by updating the BIOS to the latest revision - 1.3.3 

Which issue are you experiencing and do you still have the problem after updating the BIOS to the latest revision?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

@BigOT wrote:

Hi Alan,

I appreciate your response, but I won't pretend that I know how to do anything that you mention in your reply. I'd like to file an official customer service complaint, but all of the support links I follow lead me to self-service articles or this community. Can you send me a link to the right place where I can file a case?  I'm in Canada if that changes anything.

Thank you

Hi, 

A BIOS update is a relatively straightforward process, there are step by step instructions on what to do to update the BIOS at the link I sent. It's a few button clicks and then leaving the system to update itself. If the system is experiencing a loud fan as you have mentioned, this BIOS update should resolve the issue.

Can I ask what the nature of the complaint is about the service please?

With regards to a complaints address, these tend to be completed in writing normally to the head office. You could try the following address, however as I'm based in the UK I can't guarantee that this is correct

Customer Complaints
155 Gordon Baker Rd #501,
North York,
Ontario
M2H 3N5
Canada

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news :(

@thodin wrote:

There are 2 separate fan issues here that I have alluded to on this thread, one is for a mechanical grinding/growling noise being emitted by the fan, the other is for a fan noise that is considered louder than normal. The first requires a service call to replace the dual fans.

The same terrible noise is coming out of my newly bought XPS. When fan speed is high - I can hear rattling sound. It's not a coil whine for sure and it looks like I am also the unlucky owner of defective unit.

Does it mean I have to wait for weeks until it will be fixed? What a terrible news :(

Hi @thodin thanks for posting. I'll drop you a private message for your service tag to find out what warranty entitlement you have and where you are located. A replacement fan and a BIOS update should resolve the issue for you. 

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

@Bas_Mienis wrote:

Hello,

I have the same, even with rattling from the start... my laptop dropped after this first occured but i am afraid when sending it i am charged the cost of repair because it has a small dent on one of the corners.

kind regards,

Bas

Hi @Bas_Mienis i'll drop you a private message for some more details and I can then advise further.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

Just took mine out the box and set it up. Opened a browser and the fan is extremely loud with a single browser open to a google search page - nothing else happening. Aside from fan running at full bore, the block on the cord is HOT as is the laptop itself. It is sitting next to my ~4 year old thinkpad yoga - which is totally silent. I agree that after spending so much ~$1800 with warranty, this is absurd. Help! How do you fix this -- or is it a return??

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions