Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 30th, 2020 02:00

XPS 9500 Screen Freezing

Hello I currently have a dual boot for Windows and Linux Mint on my laptop.

My laptop occasionally freezes. I do tend to have a lot of tabs open, but I'm not sure if that is the problem. Most recently when my laptop froze I pressed a few keys, and noticed that when I pressed the keyboard backlight button the light changed sometimes, and sometimes didn't. And sometimes it skipped one of the modes (bright, not bright, off).

I primarily use Linux, and this is when my laptop has frozen. I don't use windows all that often, so haven't had the screen freeze then. But am pretty sure the OS is not the problem.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

September 24th, 2021 03:00

What worked for me was:

Clear services.

1.   Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.

2.   Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.

3.   On the Services tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then tap or click disable all.

4.   On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

5.   On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click disable.

6.   Close Task Manager.

7.   On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer. 

I had to allow some licensing services again but it's still running fine.

December 30th, 2020 18:00

1 Message

December 30th, 2020 21:00

It's sadly been an ongoing issue since I've had the laptop since August.. even with panel refresh turned off it still happens.

An easy but annoying solution is closing the lid for the laptop to enter sleep (assuming you have close lid to enter sleep enabled) and everything resumes fine once you open it back up again. Just really annoying to do multiple times.

Hope an update resolves this issue at some point soon

3 Posts

December 31st, 2020 11:00

This is just above the level of ignoring, can live with it but I updated from previous Dell for a collection of annoying things over several years.  This is apparently something that happens out of the box.  The India support had me run the same diagnostics I had run several times myself, only took an hour plus with other nonsense.  Bummer, but thanks to people who suggest solutions!  Gives me hope, 2020 was a loser anyway. 

11 Posts

September 23rd, 2021 11:00

I had this issue with my XPS 9500 out of the box after I bought it in 2020. I could solve it at that time with the screen self-refresh setting. Now after a year I reinstalled Windows and have the issue again - the screen freezes randomly. This time, the official solution to turn off the self-refresh option in the Intel Graphics Control Center doesn't work for me either.

@DELL-Caresthis issue is really old and seems not to be solved for everybody. Do you have a new solution (for the latest Windows build)?

No Events found!