Highlighted
howdyizzy
1 Copper

XPS 9550 Blue Screen Increase-- Spectre/Meltdown?

Hi friends!

I've noticed an increase in the frequency of blue screen restarts on my XPS 9550 this year. For example, I've had 2 BSODs so far this month, and 3 last month. I feel like I used to go months at a time without a single blue screen back when I first got my 9550!

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of these blue screens specifically name page faults or PFN list corruption as the cause of the error. I know that Spectre & Meltdown hit earlier this year, and that hardware and software makers alike have been scrambling to patch. I can't help but wonder if there's a connection.

I have two questions. First, have you noticed an increase in BSODs in the past few months? And second, does anyone know if these are a result of Spectre & Meltdown patches & changes, and/or if they will get better with time?

Thanks in advance!

izzy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: XPS 9550 Blue Screen Increase-- Spectre/Meltdown?

Hi howdyizzy,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Unfortunately sometimes blue screen issues can be difficult to diagnose.  If you had posted the error message and where it occurred we might have a more specific answer.

Here is information from the Dell Knowledge base you may find helpful:

Windows 10 crashes to a blue screen

Identify and Troubleshoot Windows Crashes and Restarts caused by Blue Screen (BSOD) errors on a Dell...

If you require additional assistance, please contact me privately.  Be sure to include your contact information along with your computer's service tag number.  Thanks.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
howdyizzy
1 Copper

Re: XPS 9550 Blue Screen Increase-- Spectre/Meltdown?

Thanks for your reply! Any insight generally into the relationship to Spectre & Meltdown patches? Any idea if blue screens have increased for other Dell users?

0 Kudos