Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2018 05:00

XPS 9550 powers off resuming from sleep

I see this issue has been posted a couple times before about the XPS 9550 but the suggestions in those posts do not work for me.

Since I got the laptop in 2015 it will randomly go through periods where opening the lid to resume from sleep will cause it to lose power and automatically start up again. This can occur on AC power or on battery. I never see any BSOD when this happens and event viewer only says the last shutdown was unexpected. This issue has persisted across BIOS versions, driver versions, and Windows updates. To add to the randomness it won't lose power every single time during these periods, sometimes I will open the lid and it will resume normally, although this is the minority of times.

I have wake timers disabled, hibernation disabled, pwercfg /a lists no devices keeping it awake, I've been through device manager and nothing is set there to wake the computer from sleep, I've even disabled all the wake options like USB and ethernet in BIOS, currently on version 1.7.0. There are also no USB devices plugged in when this happens.

It's currently in one of these periods again and it's driving me insane. Any suggestions beyond what I've listed above would be much appreciated!

10 Posts

May 11th, 2018 04:00

I began to suspect the issue was related to installing BIOS 1.7.0 last week so I downgraded to 1.6.1 and resuming from sleep worked fine once again. In the interest of being thorough I then redownloaded 1.7.0 and upgraded to that and it's still working fine. Perhaps I had a bad download or flash the first time but it seems to be resolved.

• 

16.7K Posts

May 10th, 2018 07:00

Samastrike,

Go into the power and sleep options and set the system options in this area.

Start- Settings-Power & Sleep-Check the settings on this page. Click Additional Power Settings at the bottom. On the left hand column choose each option and set according to your needs. Look at the section that reads "choose what closing the lid does" as well as all other options.

10 Posts

May 10th, 2018 08:00

Thanks Jesse but all the options for closing the lid, and the sleep and power buttons are set to "sleep".

One thing I noticed while testing what combinations of AC/ battery power will cause this I noticed that if battery power is involved in any way (sleeping and resuming, plugged into AC to sleep and resuming on battery, on battery to sleep and plugged in while resuming) it will lose power and boot up again when I open the lid. However if it is plugged into AC the whole time it will resume normally (tested 3 times).

This sounds like a degraded battery but I just got a replacement one in January 2018 so it's still new, and I was having these issues in the past on the old battery.

No Events found!