rgcl
1 Copper

XPS 9550 - white noise on external speakers when no sound

Hello

I have XPS 9550, and an external stereo system connected through headphone out. The OS is latest Win 10.

I have this strange and annoying problem with the sound -

When I'm playing music on the PC, the sound is great. I can mute it on the laptop and it's going absolutely quiet. But when the music stops, I get this annoying white noise. If I mute the laptop sound, it's still coming.

Any sound (like notifications, etc) stops the white noise for a bit but then it comes back as soon as the sound ends.

Any ideas what can it be?

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: XPS 9550 - white noise on external speakers when no soun

Hi @rgcl

I'm wondering if the feedback/whitenoise is a result of the system being played through a stereo system. I had a similar setup on my home desktop pc with it going through an amplifier and noticed the same sort of audio issues. Can you help me with a few details regarding your setup please :

a) If you use the laptop with the laptop speakers do you hear any issues with whitenoise?
b) If you connect external speakers or headphones directly to the laptop do you hear the same white noise?
c) Does the whitenoise come out of the speakers connected to the stereo system only?
d) Have you tried changing the 3.mm stereo cable to your stereo system?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
I'm based in the UK and I'm usually available Monday to Friday 9am-4pm GMT
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
TeleBlues
1 Copper

I have the same issue on my Dell XPS 15 9570. After about 10 seconds of no audio playing my headphones will play a hissing sound. It goes away the moment any audio output exists and returns 10 seconds after there being no output. It is reminiscent of the audio driver being turned off and allowing whatever static near the jack to make it through as output.

I have found old threads referencing this as an issue for RealTek drivers but none of the solutions have applied to this machine. I am hoping Dell responds with a solution.

Great machine but overall a lot of small issues adding up.

0 Kudos
TeleBlues
1 Copper

Shortly after my initial post. I found an imperfect fix. MaxxAudioPro is pre-installed for most Dell machines. If you keep it open, it will prevent the static from occurring when output stops. Would be nice if there was an official Dell solution.

@TeleBlues wrote:

Shortly after my initial post. I found an imperfect fix. MaxxAudioPro is pre-installed for most Dell machines. If you keep it open, it will prevent the static from occurring when output stops. Would be nice if there was an official Dell solution.

Hi @TeleBlues, thanks for getting in touch about this. Can you help me out with some additional details please so I can investigate this further - 

a) What make and model or headphones are you using?
b) Do you still hear this "hiss / static" from the internal speakers if the headphones are disconnected?
c) Do you have the XPS running on battery power or ac power when you hear this issue?
d) If you uninstall MaxxAudio Pro from the system, do you still get the audio issues?

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
gatmac
1 Nickel

I have a different but related issue with sound output. If I uninstall MaxxAudio Pro from my system (9550, late 2016) and it has no effect, is there a way to reinstall it? 

0 Kudos

@gatmac wrote:

I have a different but related issue with sound output. If I uninstall MaxxAudio Pro from my system (9550, late 2016) and it has no effect, is there a way to reinstall it? 

Hi @gatmac, as I understand it Waves MaxxAudio Pro is installed from the Windows store. The download packages available from the Dell website guides you to the store to install it directly.

Alan

DELL-AlanD
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos