Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 28th, 2019 10:00

XPS 9560 and Killer Wireless-n/a/ac 1535 very limited bandwidth

Hi. After latest Windows reinstallation I used the drivers from according page of Dell website. But for some reason some time ago my WiFi started to work really slow. I didn't change any settings or hardware. I didn't move my router and my laptop is on the same table as it was when everything worked fine.

WiFi on laptop works very slow in any network - 5 or 2.4 GHz. Issue is not in network or router because my phone gets 70+ mbps in the same network and the same place, on the same test.

I found out that I have some "Killer control center" program, checked and disabled some shady "bandwidth control" or whatever it was. Nothing changed. Tried to uninstall it and install latest drivers from Killer website. Nothing changed. Tried to delete device drivers and let Windows install drivers automatically. Didn't change bandwidth problem.

I'm getting 2 - 20 mbps (average is 4 mbps) when my phone gets over 70. I was using this exact laptop with previous Windows installation and the same drivers and everything was ok. I don't know how to fix this issue.

September 11th, 2019 11:00

There is a new update Version 12.0.0.918 for your device that was released, you can find it here:

Killer Performance Suite: https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-software-package-windows-10-1803/

Driver Only: https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-drivers-installation-64bit/

INF Drivers (Device Manager Manual Install):  https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-inf-package/

Thank you for your time,

Nicholas with Killer Networking.

August 28th, 2019 10:00

I guess it is a dead end. Bot from this forum told me to gtfo since warranty is expired.

August 28th, 2019 12:00

In order to uninstall  SmartByte utility I have to install  SmartByte utility at first. Do you think I should do that?

The Killer Comtrol center didn't ask me anything. Either at first launch (I didn't even know it's installed) or after uninstallation and installation. I don't have a single reason to limit my bandwidth regardless of ISP. I turned off that "bandwidth optimization" thing in The Killer Comtrol center, it did nothing. Just like entire The Killer Comtrol center itself. Does nothing.

I don't have any limiting software running. Everything looks like wifi card works on lower power than it should according to power management settings of Windows. If I move laptop close to router, speeds are increasing. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 28th, 2019 12:00

The normal fix for that is to uninstall the SmartByte utility.

The Killer Comtrol center will ask you to update your ISP speed settings and when you do that, on my system it cut it to 25%.  If you haven't entered a lower ISP speed, the SmartByte might be still active.

I have been running Killer Wireless cards on some of my systems and those installs seem to be normal.  I so not run SmartByte even though it is an optional install.  If you look at the Task Manager and notice any RNxxx type processes, then SmartByte may still be active.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 28th, 2019 20:00

If you need to install first, that should be ok.  If you find the process, you could try ending the task in Task Manager.

Speeds may change when you get closer, depending on what closer means in reference to distance or obstructions.  Interference from other signals may also be a factor.

Restarting a router may re-establish your link speeds, at least temporarily.

I don't know which systems have what, but if you had Dell Cinema, SmartByte is part of that.

If you can't find a reason, you may want to check the physical antenna connections.

August 29th, 2019 04:00

Antenna connection is the only thing that could be. I checked it and entire WiFi card connection. Everything is ok there.

Thanks for the effort but everything else is bs.

489 Posts

August 29th, 2019 05:00

You can try 

- disable windows update auto driver installation, or work offline

- use Killer Uninstaller to remove old Killer driver 

- install the latest "driver-only" version (no Killer control center that tends to cause issues) of the wifi and BT driver from the Killer site

- if no better, antenna connection (the flimsy little coax connectors) is difficult to debug but you can try using one of the wifi measurement programs that show signal strength in dB if the signal levels look useful 

- many folks end up replacing the Killer card with an Intel wifi+BT card AX200 or 9260, 30 bucks or so, use drivers from Intel site. 

August 30th, 2019 11:00

Thank you for your message on this matter, we apologize for the issues that you are encountering with your device. If you are experiencing issues with your Killer Networking adapter, we'd like to help! You can reach out to us directly here - https://support.killernetworking.com/submit-a-ticket/

I believe you have already submitted a trouble ticket and we have been assisting you already, but I wanted to respond to this just in case. 

To help expedite the ticket process please provide a Diagnostic along with your ticket if possible. 

Diagnostic Tool: https://support.killernetworking.com/download/killer-diagnostics/ 

Once you have the application downloaded, please run the application, click Start at the bottom left and then, once it is finished, click Save to save the output file, and attach the output file to your reply. Please do not copy and paste the results into your reply email. Please attach the output .TXT file to your reply, instead.  

Thank you again for your time - Nicholas with Killer Networking

No Events found!