kudesign
1 Copper

XPS 9560 battery died in just 13 months

I bought my first Dell for work in 2017, the XPS 15 9560, with upgraded 32GB ram and 1TB SSD. The battery died just outside of warranty, and only lasted 13 months. The amber light blinks, and when I go into the bios, it says the battery needs to be replaced. When the AC is unplugged the laptop would not start, as though there is no battery installed. 

I don't believe anyone would be happy to have spent top dollars on an elite laptop, to find that the battery only last 13 months. I am thinking it's either a design fault, or quality issue. The battery has been working strong until it just suddenly decides to quit. I believe it can still be charged, but the laptop just refuse to charge it.

Has anyone managed to try trickle charge the battery manually to bring the voltage up a little?

Is anyone having the same issue with short battery life? or is this an isolated incident? Would like to hear what others are experiencing, thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: XPS 9560 battery died in just 13 months

While batteries should last 18-24 months, some don't -- and if the system was run most or all the time on AC power, that can cut the battery life appreciably.

0 Kudos

This is not quite true. A well-designed battery should last about 300-1000 charge-discharge cycles. Our phone batteries die after couple years, which is about 700 cycles (1 cycle a day). Laptops are often used less than once a day. 

My XPS 9560 battery lost 25% capacity after 11 months, and 100 cycles. I called dell, and they sent me a replacement. A replacement battery lost 15% capacity in the first week, and now is down another 10% just after 8 month of usage. It only has 60 cycles on it. It was fully discharged maybe 10 times (always in sleep mode, because dell cannot correctly go from sleep to hibernate when battery is low). I have all the battery health improvements turned on in BIOS, disabled fast charging, etc. 

I will never buy dell again. My 5-year-old Lenovo x230 still has 85% battery capacity, and lasts 6 hours. My 1.5-year-old Dell XPS 15 is down to 75% capacity, and lasts only 2.5 hours, despite stated 10 hours. 

0 Kudos
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Your X230 uses the older cylindrical cells - these are much heavier than the ones in an XPS 15, and far less stressed thermally and electrically.  It's why Tesla uses the 18650 batteries inside your battery pack in the Model X and Model S.

Yes, this technology is more robust -- but it comes at a cost of size and weight.  The battery inside a newer Thinkpad X1 isn't going to run the 5-6 years the one in your x230 did.

0 Kudos