Highlighted
N6MAA31416
1 Nickel

XPS 9560 battery drain - Windows 1803 - Toshiba SSD

Hello,

Since the update to Windows 1803 version I am experiencing extremely reduced battery life on my XPS 9560. I cannot roll back to the previous version so after some basic research I found that this issue is related to some specific SSD models, including a list ofToshiba and Intel drives. Mine (Toshiba THNSN5512GPUK) is one of them.

I also found that WIndows is aware of the issue and with one of the subsequent builds (KB4100403) they claim they resolved the problem but in my case it persists. I couldn't also find any firmware update for the SSD or any other way to solve my issue, so I'm writing here to see if there is other users with the same problem and if anybody has solved it in some way.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Judge584
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 9560 battery drain - Windows 1803 - Toshiba SSD

Hello,

Please verify you are using latest firmware for your SSD, here is latest one:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/us/frdhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=C0PF8

Please also verify all Windows updates have been applied.

No more ideas;-)

PS: mine was affected like yours, now this is a lot better but it still seems not as good as before windows 1803 😞

0 Kudos
N6MAA31416
1 Nickel

Hi,

First of all thanks for the reply.

I think I have a different Toshiba SSD model because this firmware update doesn't appear when I search for drivers on the Dell website with my laptop code. Anyway I have already tried and when I select the drive for the update I cannot go on with the installation because "this drive is not supported with this application".

I have also installed the latest update of the Windows 1803 Version (KB4284835) since some days but nothing changed. I am not sure if they forgot to solve the issue with some SSD models or if I am still missing something, but it seems I tried every option.

Thanks again for the feedback!

0 Kudos
Judge584
1 Nickel

Sorry you are right : this firmware is for toshiba xg5

This one is correct for your SSD : http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=9VNJH

0 Kudos
N6MAA31416
1 Nickel

Yes, this is the one. I have it installed for some time now but still the problem persists. Thanks anyway, maybe someone with a similar problem reads this post and this solution can work for them

0 Kudos
CD21
1 Nickel

I'm having similar issues with my XPS 9350. I'm not noticing the battery drain, but ever since I did a clean install of 1803 my boot time is almost 4 minutes. Prior to installing 1803, my boot time was 15 seconds at most. I also have a Toshiba SSD and have installed all the latest patches. I'm not sure what else to try, but to revert back to 1709. I haven't found any other suggestions either...

0 Kudos
DivHD
1 Copper

I have the same problem here !

Since the April update I have overheating problems, fans are all time enabled and I can run 2h on battery (before I was on 6-7hours...).

I have the Toshiba SSD too...

0 Kudos
N6MAA31416
1 Nickel

Hello,

I seem to have solved my problem. Luckily I had a backup of what I thought was Windows 1709, but doing a recovery I discovered it was already 1803 but the problem wasn't there anymore.

Battery is fine even with the latest Windows updates. The firmware for the Toshiba SSD was also already updated so that was also not the problem. I concluded it was some kind of driver, couldn't exactly find out which one, probably some Intel chipset or thermal framework driver that I accidentally installed using a third party software like Driver Booster, which usually works fine but in this case made a total mess.

Regarding the boot time, I never had such a problem but it could also be somewhere in the ssd or energy management drivers. But I cannot say since I didn't experience the problem first hand.

Hope this can help users who find themselves in my same situation!

0 Kudos